Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
[www.youtube.com]

The car looked fast, but the sound was, well, amazing..as amazingly bad.
The car was clocked registering an exhaust of 99db at full throttle on the track--which means you get a warning--in a completely stock 718.
I thought the exhaust was loud but 99db is way loud.
I sure wish I had a sound recording of my '68 VW Karmann Ghia with its 1,500cc, 53 HP flat 4 and extractor exhaust. That's what this 718 sounds like at idle and when it first starts to accelerate. Once this 718 gets into the upper rev range, it sounds like there's something loose or rattling. If it is the intake noise, he must have the mic mounted close to the left intake. If the car actually sounds that way, I couldn't live with that. It's just plain irritating noise.

Somehow, some people thing that loud sound is good, like kids with their booming stereos that rattle the whole trunk area. Had one beside me at a light the other day and I could actually feel my car vibrating.

I guess different people have different ideas of what sounds good. For me, the flat six just has that depth of sound and conveys sportiness and power. PSE allows more of that sound to be heard. The flat six sound matches what the car is designed for.

My Karmann Ghia sounded fine for a car that cost $2,995 brand new in 1968. The new 718 S starts at $78,000 here in Canada. I'm sure it handles and runs fine, but it just isn't the complete package that the 981 Boxster is.
The 718, both base and S, is a fine automobile. I've had two long test drives and two shorter ones, all PDK unfortunately. It's faster than its predecessor, tight as a drum, has a much better MFD, updated modern sound options and an impressive suspension. Better looking wheels and some knockout new colors are a nice touch.

I purchased a 2016 Cayman, in part, because of my concerns with the long term reliability of a four cylinder turbo, doubts about the ongoing availability of a true manual transmission, and a desire to own a finely tuned, known, product.

While the exhaust note on the 718, both stock and PSE, is different, and to many not as desirable, some here "doth protest too much, methinks". The car sounds very good, and given a hardtop Cayman with some rear cabin resonance, it's wonderful, especially with the windows rolled up and the AC on. winking smiley

Rather than repeatedly whining about the exhaust sound every time the 718 is mentioned, please consider giving it a rest at long last.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
he!! freezing over. eye popping smiley grinning smiley

I never thought I'd see you doing a 170 on your opinion of anything, Gary. Glad that you enjoyed the 718. I agree that with the windows closed, AC on and a good sound system, the exhaust note shouldn't be a concern. Just different priorities. Nothing wrong with that. And, as I've said before, I'm sure the 718 is a great handling car as all Boxsters / Caymans have been. In terms of being better than the 981, a lot depends on which suspension and tires the cars have. I know you had mentioned at BRBS that you didn't like the tires on your car and if you went from your stock suspension to a 718 with PASM or PASM Sport, I'm sure you'd find an improvement if your were comparing the handling to yours.

As far as the sound system. The upgrades - BOSE and Burmeister were already available on the 981 had you wanted a better sound system than you currently have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 04:50PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
As I already said, enough already. I'm not that keen on defending the 718.

Yeah, I've used YUCK about 10 times over the past year when discussing the 718. Not sure that constitutes "constantly", but so be it. Also, after my first long test drive, reported here in July, I moved the 718 up to semi-YUCK, as I was pleasantly surprised. Having a thumbs down once, IIRC, doesn't rise to "often". Geez, you guys need to either pay more attention, or take some memory improvement pills.

Now to the foibles of the guy with the selective memory, a harping exhaust tone focus and an odd fuel economy obsession. Sitting in a house all winter waxing a garage cloistered Boxster must be impacting his selective recall as well.

First, what is a 170? Either you've gotten a strange discount or you mean a 180. For me the 718 is now only semi-Yucky, I've never said I didn't like the OEM Goodyears on my Cayman, only that I prefer Michelin. My suspension is not standard, I have X73 anti-roll sway bars, so you're wrong again, but the 718 does have an improved chassis setup, adaptive dampers, direct steering, and a wider rear wheel track. Note that my memory may be a bit off on some of these items. PASM has nothing to do with the comparison of my 981 ride with any 718, so who knows where you were going with that.

Nor do BOSE or Burm options have anything to do with my comments on the much improved 718 communications and acoustical experience. My comparison was, in part, based on the impressive 718 Sound System Plus with my BOSE systems, not with a basic system, so another misstatement of fact. Breathing the fumes from all that daily cleaning material is having a detrimental effect on your memory, I suspect. Need I say again that your beleaguered wife has earned that Macan she craves, regardless of what you want. tongue sticking out smiley

With all I've said, I definitely prefer a 981 to a 718, but those who want a new Boxster/Cayman don't have a choice.

Rock on my friends, and have a good weekend. smileys with beer

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
...But I seem to remember someone constantly posting the word "YUCK" on 718 posts. grinning smiley
Often, a thumbs down was added. winking smiley
while i appreciate a nice sounding motor, i've honestly been sitting here thinking "that's a lot of complaining about the sound, in what may be an otherwise good car".

Now' I've driven that car and dont recall it sounding like that - so take some heart, you may not hear it all inside the cockpit. I'm nto sure where his mic was, or what exhaust might have been on it. But it went from truly VW beetle to some harsh noise.

I've had lots of cars from I-4s to I-5s to V-6s to V-8s to lot sof flat 6s. None sounded that bad.

Nto even the 718S i drive at Pocono sounded that bad :-) ???

Grant - confused and amazed

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
while i appreciate a nice sounding motor, i've honestly been sitting here thinking "that's a lot of complaining about the sound, in what may be an otherwise good car".

Now' I've driven that car and dont recall it sounding like that - so take some heart, you may not hear it all inside the cockpit. I'm nto sure where his mic was, or what exhaust might have been on it. But it went from truly VW beetle to some harsh noise.

I've had lots of cars from I-4s to I-5s to V-6s to V-8s to lot sof flat 6s. None sounded that bad.

Nto even the 718S i drive at Pocono sounded that bad :-) ???

Grant - confused and amazed

The microphone was just above the tailpipe..

Driving the 718S with the top down, I only heard the VW noise and the "drain-like" hickups coming off throttle Never heard that hiss from induction noise (?).
That said, the exhaust seemed significantly louder than the stock 981S exhaust. 99db at full throttle sounds bizzare for a car produced in the EU, which has some pretty stringent rules on exhaust noise:
[www.law360.com]
Grant

You know what brings a smile to my face every weekday morning, especially in the warm to warmish weather when the top is down? Starting my flat six in the garage. Makes participating in the daily rat race much more tolerable. Loads more fun than puttering off to work in my wife's Prius. Oh, and I get the same on the way home as I park in an underground garage in my building. So, get to leave the top down for the ride home, too.
Hard to imagine a Boxter without that sound. Its so much of the character of the car. Love it when I am driving on the highway and accelerate, the WOOOOOOOOOO!

Anker

2004 Boxter S, Arctic Silver
Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login