Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
So, dumb question: if you swap a set of summer tires / wheels with a set of winter tires / wheels, how does that affect the TPMS? What do you have to do to make sure it works with the new set of tires / wheels? I'm thinking about having some winter tires sent to my house for my new 718 (there -- I revealed my purchase of one of the growly cars despite the likely scoffs from the audience ;-). I think I can change the wheel ok (I sure hope so anyway), but I have never done so with a TPMS involved. Anything I should worry about?

Thanks.
If you're getting new wheels and winter tires, you'll need to move the TPMS sensors from the summer wheels and install them in the Winter wheels. You could also buy new TPMS sensors for the Winter tires / wheels, but that's pretty expensive.)

Then you'll need to go the Multi function display and change the setting to match the new size of tire / wheel (If it's like the 981, you choose the wheel size and whether it's winter or summer tires.)
Congrat's Jeff
Roger987 - 7 years ago
jeff in VA
my new 718 (there -- I revealed my purchase of one of the growly cars despite the likely scoffs from the audience ;-).

Thanks.

Congratulations, Jeff ! No scoffs here - the 718 is one heck of a fine car. We'll be interested in hearing about your Boxster adventures.

BUT, the rule here is until pics are posted, the car doesn't exist. So, you know what you have to do, winking smiley
Re: Congrat's Jeff
MarcW - 7 years ago
Second that.

SM at the local dealer offered me the key to a demo Boxster 718 a couple of weeks ago. I declined but I wish now I would have taken the car out. I'm anxious to experience one for myself, though I probably won't buy another Boxster but could be tempted to buy a new Cayman.
I'll add my congratulations too. But as Roger says, until we see pictures, the car doesn't exist. winking smiley We'd also like to hear about colour and options that you chose.

I believe the 718 S has larger front brakes than the 981. If you have a base 718, I'm sure the 18's would work, but I'd double check with the dealer.

Looking forward to those pics and you impressions of the car.
Guess Jeff's having so much fun driving it, he's not had time to stop and take some photos. winking smiley
Well,
Guenter in Ontario - 7 years ago
maybe that car doesn't exist?

Would love to see pictures and hear more about it if it does. winking smiley winking smiley winking smiley
jeff in VA - 7 years ago
Lol -- I admit I have been distracted with things. I will get some pics for you as soon as I can -- I am sorry for the delay.

As for the new car -- I think its great. It has been an adjustment though. I drove my 986 for many years, and I loved that car. I would not have given it up for anything. Unfortunately, it died and I had to get something to get around in. The 718 is the closest I could come in a new car, so that's what I ended up with.

The engine is growly. But I am getting used to it, and in a good way. The more I drive it, the more I like it. My old car was a 2002 S and it had, I think, 250 hp. This one has 350 hp. It is a real difference. The car performs impeccably. There really isn't much more to be said on that front.

The big change for me is that I got the pdk. This was a long time issue with my wife, who was never comfortable driving the old box with the manual transmission. I was a real believer in manual transmissions. I must say, it is really hard to complain about the pdk. If you want, you can shift it like a manual, but without the inefficiency of actually using a clutch. And the shifts are not like the old triptronic. The pdk shifts are quick and sure. For those that think you are not as involved, I'm not sure I agree. With the pdk, you can be involved in the sense of picking any shift pattern you want (like any manual). Sure, you will not have any miss-shifts, even when you are driving very hard, but I am coming around to the view that that is a positive. ;-) Bottom line is that the pdk is very nice. Plus, if you are stuck in traffic, you don't have to pick a shift pattern at all. ;-)

The car is also new, which is nice in many ways. The body is tight and clean. The electronics are amazing. I have lane sensors, a back-up camera, headlights that point towards where you are steering, and a radio that works seamlessly with my phone. My seats have heating and cooling, whichever you want. When you are stopped at a light, you can press the brake down and engage "hold", which holds the car until you press the accelerator. Amazingly simple, and something that I am already completely used to. When I drive other cars, I am now annoyed that they don't do that and you have to sit at the stop holding down the break! Lol.

I have ~3k miles on it and I love it more every time I drive it.

But I still miss my old one. I really loved that old car.

-- Jeff
Re: 718
MarcW - 7 years ago
Reads like you have a nice car. Good for you.

I'm really tempted to buy a new Cayman, base or S though I haven't decided. Wouldn't decide until after I had tested both examples. Almost certainly the car I get will come with PDK -- but I'd need a road test first just to be sure I like the PDK as much as I think I would -- and I'd like PCCB's too. With PCCB's I would have probably bought my last set of rotors and pads.

My 2002 Boxster turned 15 years old earlier this month -- bought it Jan 19, 2002 -- and has over 308K miles on it. It has been a great car, still runs great, and believe it or not I would be hard pressed to get rid of it. If I had to get rid of a car to keep my total to just 2 it might be the Turbo that gets sold.
jeff in VA - 7 years ago
Here's my new car. It's a triple black 2017 718 Boxster S. In the picture it is wearing its 18 inch winter shoes. ;-)

OK
Guenter in Ontario - 7 years ago
Now we believe it exists. smiling smiley

Congratulations. Nice looking Boxster. I hope you soon have a chance to drive it topless with the summer tires and wheels.
MikenOH - 7 years ago
It looks great, Jeff. Best of luck with it.
jg wnc - 7 years ago
Sweeeeetttttt ride!
CarreraLicious - 7 years ago
Congrats and good to see it's being used in the winter!
Tweety - 7 years ago
Beautiful car.

Enjoy your new ride!
OMG!
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - 7 years ago
Congrats on the new car!
Have fun.
Happy 718'ing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Congrats! From my limited time driving one (Base) at the PEC LA, it is certainly a fine piece of machinery!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login