Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I had a great time driving the Cayman GT4 and 911 Carrera while taking the "Master the Manual" program. One word to describe the GT4 is "glue". That car sticks to the track. I was surprised at how feather light the 911 clutch pedal was.

[i178.photobucket.com]

[i178.photobucket.com]

[i178.photobucket.com]

[i178.photobucket.com]

[i178.photobucket.com]

[i178.photobucket.com]

[i178.photobucket.com]

[i178.photobucket.com]

[i178.photobucket.com]

My favorite car of the day...is the one I drove home in.

[i178.photobucket.com]

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!"
Thanks for posting the pics. Sure looks like quite the spot.

The 911 you drove - was it a 991.2 ? Would love to hear more about your impressions of each of the cars.
More impressions of each car...

GT4 - absolutely no brake fade, spot on steering, seats that fit like a glove, more leg room than my 987, nice exhaust note, excellent acceleration, very good steering wheel, I do prefer the 987 lower stick position though, I did find 2nd gear tricky at times down shifting, I did not like the door straps, forget about driving on wet or slick surfaces with summer tires. Overall, I rate it a 9.5/10 track car and a 8.5/10 as a street car.

991.2 - terrific low end torque, really like the smaller steering wheel, engine mounts do great job reducing rear sway, hit 110 MPH in 1/4 mile, awesome gear box, I liked depressing the clutch to restart after stalling, better on wet/slick surfaces, beautiful styling interior/exterior .Overall, I rate it a 8.5/10 track car and a 9.0/10 as a street car.

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!"
BTW...on the day of my event Ellen Degeneres was there filming for her TV show...it was amazing how many people work behind the scenes of her show with cameras & etc. They even had two drones in the air following her in the cars she rode in as a passenger. At the end of the episode (which will be upcoming) she appears to get in a 911 Turbo and speed off; a male stunt double in a blonde wig takes her place and does the actual driving. She seemed very friendly and was accommodating to people who wanted pictures with her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 05:32PM by r9i8c7k. (view changes)
Sounds as though both cars are close to perfect, each in its own way.

You gave the 911 a slight edge as a street car - is that predominately because of its low-rpm high torque engine, or a collection of other intangibles?

How does the 911's ride comfort compare to that of your 987?
I gave the 911 the edge as a street car for three main reasons; gear box, traction, and while the GT4 seats are awesome at the track I would not want to be getting in and out of them on frequent basis. Having said this...it still would be a blast as a street car.

"How does the 911's ride comfort compare to that of your 987?" - the 911's ride comfort is very, very nice...2X better than my 987...

""How does the 911's ride comfort compare to that of your 987?" - the 911's ride comfort is very, very nice...2X better than my 987..."

Wow, that's remarkable. I guess Porsche really did make some significant changes to the 911's suspension. I'd always regarded the ride of my 987 as unusually good, for a sports car. Mind you, mine was riding on 17" wheels, whereas yours appears to be shod with 19 (or 20"?) wheels.

If it wasn't an S, the 911 you drove may have had 19" or perhaps 20" wheels. Similar sidewall height to yours, I suppose.

Good for you for seizing that exceptional opportunity.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login