Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think this is the most reliable car I've ever had. 15 years, and 72K miles on it. Ok granted, I don't have that many miles on it for the age of the car, but below are the only things I've ever had to replace on the car. Everything else is still original and working. All the instrumentation and dash bulbs are still working, the HVAC display is still good/A/C still blows strong without having to recharge, CDR 220 radio is still original and works, IMS is original, car has never needed an alignment, as it tracks straight, tires wear normally for the car, and steering wheel perfectly centered, ignition switch/clutch switch still original. Knock on wood big time, as I don't want to jinx myself, but this car has been more reliable than any of my previous and current cars (Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Benz). How can this be? A sports car being reliable?!...anyone else have this experience? At this rate, I'm not sure when I'll be able to replace the car. LOL

Items replaced:
Water pump replaced at 58K (original failed)
Polyrib belt at 50K (as a precaution)
Motor Mount at 58K (original failed)
AOS at 65K (as a precaution)
E-brake switch for top operation at 65K (original failed)
Factory 03 top and frame with glass window (changed in 09 when plastic window of original top ripped)
3-stalk levers for directional indicator/cruise control/wipers (directional cancel/return failed)
Coolant tank (failed at 40k ish)

Regular maintenance items:
Oil and filter changes every 12K or 2 yrs
Fuel Filter at 58K
Spark plugs at 30K and 60K
Brake pads changed and 1 rotor set as needed
Cabin filter every 15k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2016 08:18AM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
Car in question: 2004 986 base (5-speed, 2.7), bought new. 62k miles - with probably 25 track days or more, and 40+ autocross days.
(note i have a track car)

Must put aside some major work, when the car hit the wall on the race-track.
Cant blame the car for that! Mostly sheet metal, lights, and suspension parts (new M030).

Aside from that:
-- clutch (race driver/instructor missed a shift on the track, cant blame car)
-- lots of brake pads, one set rotors (track)
-- lots of tires (track)
-- 2 wheel bearings (track/crash)
-- IMS (preventative, done with clutch, spun fine but was clearly failing)
-- AOS (likely track damage, great big clouds occasionally on track)
....note, no continuous usage very unlike my current problem that many ask about the AOS w/r/t.
A failing AoS makes lots of smoke but uses negligible oil (until its good and dead)

So I'd say that I have basically a zero-trouble car, that susptained a bit of abuse. Runs like a top. Uses ZERO oil in annual changes, including some very spirited driving and AX. one track day this year just when volunteer instructing for a small club (drive around at 7 1/2 /10ths)

Looks nearly new. drives like new. Tight, smooth.

I plan to have it another 10 years at least.

Grant
ps: the other car (track car) is similar, with 235,000 miles, except for the used motor i put in it, which is a POS (on track anyway). Obviously it has many more changes slowly making it a track rat. but a very pretty one. (bruce your car gets love - abuse but also love)

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Glad to see you're still getting so much use out of these 986s Grant!
boxtaboy
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think this is the most reliable car I've ever had. 15 years, and 72K miles on it. Ok granted, I don't have that many miles on it for the age of the car, but below are the only things I've ever had to replace on the car. Everything else is still original and working. All the instrumentation and dash bulbs are still working, the HVAC display is still good/A/C still blows strong without having to recharge, CDR 220 radio is still original and works, IMS is original, car has never needed an alignment, as it tracks straight, tires wear normally for the car, and steering wheel perfectly centered, ignition switch/clutch switch still original. Knock on wood big time, as I don't want to jinx myself, but this car has been more reliable than any of my previous and current cars (Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Benz). How can this be? A sports car being reliable?!...anyone else have this experience? At this rate, I'm not sure when I'll be able to replace the car. LOL

Items replaced:
Water pump replaced at 58K (original failed)
Polyrib belt at 50K (as a precaution)
Motor Mount at 58K (original failed)
AOS at 65K (as a precaution)
E-brake switch for top operation at 65K (original failed)
Factory 03 top and frame with glass window (changed in 09 when plastic window of original top ripped)
3-stalk levers for directional indicator/cruise control/wipers (directional cancel/return failed)
Coolant tank (failed at 40k ish)

Regular maintenance items:
Oil and filter changes every 12K or 2 yrs
Fuel Filter at 58K
Spark plugs at 30K and 60K
Brake pads changed and 1 rotor set as needed
Cabin filter every 15k

Nice report and one that continues to affirm my belief that these are reliable cars--assuming you do the required maintenance.

Our '99' went 42K/6+ years with only normal maintenance--no change of battery, rotors/pads--only fluids and filters.No equipment failures of any type.

The '06' had a fair amount of track/auto-x time on it and still--after 40K + miles and 7 years-- had only normal maintenance done, in addition to pads/rotors from track duty. No equipment failures of any type.

The
And it's good to see the brand has served you well enough that you've continued buying them!
Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
I bought my 2006 Boxster new. Drove it for a little over 7 years. During that time, I put 67,000 miles on it.

I changed the oil & filter once a season or roughly every 6K miles except in years where it was driven more, when I would do an extra change mid season.
Replaced things like brake fluid, filters etc as per schedule.
Replace spark plugs at 60K miles
Replaced 3 sets of rear and 2 sets of front tires

Repairs

- Replaced battery at 5 1/2 years / 53K miles
- Replaced water pump, which was starting to leak, at 54K miles
- Replaced the serpentine belt when the water pump was being replaced

It still had about 25% brake pads at front and 30% at rear when I sold it.

Here in Zion National Park on our California road trip.

Great pic.We were just out there in August and thought it --along with Bryce Canyon--had some incredible views.
MikenOH
Great pic.We were just out there in August and thought it --along with Bryce Canyon--had some incredible views.

No pictures of the Boxster in Bryce Canyon, but we were there on that trip. This is one of my favourites from Bryce Canyon. I agree - incredible views.

I'm also impressed by my 2007 987.
71,000 miles and .No repairs except temp. Sensor and maintenance (Oil, Rotors, Pads, Plugs, Tires, Filters etc).
Still drives like newsmiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login