Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Seasonal greetings to Pedro and everyone on the board!

My 1999 Box' seems a bit noisy over small bumps. I replaced the tie rod ends last year. I replaced all four drop links and anti roll bushes back in 2007. Since then I've only done 22,350 miles, although that's on poor quality UK roads. I don't drive it hard into corners etc.

What sort of mileage should these parts reasonably last for?

Marty (UK) 1999 Boxster 2.5 manual
The bushes eventually harden from age though, and i suspect on a 99 that was true last time. But things should not have deteriorated again.

What makes you think the noise is those parts? Have you found the source specifically?

I'd check shocks, and especially the top mounts, tightness of the sway bar bushings (bracket, not 1 year old rubber), and generally root around for somethign that moves and clanks.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
For some reason, anti roll links and bars are always blamed and are rarely the culprit. It is usually a particular control arm in the front and another in the rear. I don't remember which in the front goes first, but in the rear, it is the lateral one.. the one that goes front to rear.

The only way to know for sure is put on some chassis ears. I had the 2nd highest mileage Boxster/911 back in the early 2000s my dealer had seen so clunking suspension parts were new to them. The foreman put on some chassis ears and we went for a ride.... found the bad guy in 3 mnts.

I lived on cobblestone streets and went through quite a few over the years.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2016 08:37AM by Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S). (view changes)
It's gauged by measuring play or detecting symptoms of wear (unusual noises, handling sloppiness, etc.). This is because there is a very high variability in the wear of these items.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login