Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Heavy rainfall overnight, noticed condensation on rear plastic window, reached behind drivers seat and it is completely soaked. History is convertible top transmission failing so we decided to wait till spring to tear it down and replace since it is expensive and won't be using top until summer, however when I brought it into the shop yesterday the top would not go down, so the tech pulled the carpet from the back and the left side and checked the reservoir, no overflow, dry, blew water up through the bottom while on the lift, no blockage, could not find water trail that is causing leak. Anybody have this kind of problem. She is outside with a lightweight plastic tarp over the top and rear deck and her car cover on to dry to deflect flooding for now..... they said if the immobilizer gets wet she's done....
Hi Ace,

While some people call the IMSB issues the Achilles heal of the 1997-2008 Boxster, a potential high ankle sprain for the car is the wet immobilizer. There is much information out on the inter-web about this (try the 986forum), and I am not an expert in this.

But the usual culprit is clogged drains. There are some in the drip trays under where the top stows, and some in the front under the cowl. A hole torn in the drip tray could be the problem as well, as well as leaky door membranes. I'd guess you have a leak in the driver's side rear drain. Check that first. Clean any obvious leaf or pine needle debris, and blow some air down the tube. Then pour a little water into the drain. You should see it dripping through to the ground in front of the rear tire. If not, you may have to try to "roto-rooter" the drain tube. Once clear, may people buy screens to cover the drain holes. Suncoast Porsche Parts has them.

Once you've fixed the leak you'll need to pull the seat (disconnect the negative terminal of the batter first, so you don't throw an airbag light) and dry out the water. I believe the carpets are especially difficult to dry completely due to the type of foam backing used and will need to be removed from the car to be heat/air dried. Then you'll have to pull and open of the immobilizer itself to thoroughly dry it an inspect for corrosion. I hear light corrosion can be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, but it is possible the unit is kaput. Then you will be looking at a significant expense to properly replace, as I believe the unit is coded to the car and you can just plop a used one in there.

Good luck!
I would check the the movable curtain over the engine (from the window to the back of the car). It's attached with a long plastic bar, I this bar is not proplerly attach to the back of the car the water will not drain to the drain and you will get water in the cabin.
carlos in Montreal
I would check the the movable curtain over the engine (from the window to the back of the car). It's attached with a long plastic bar, I this bar is not proplerly attach to the back of the car the water will not drain to the drain and you will get water in the cabin.

Good point, Carlos. That curtain helps direct water in the rear to the side drain holes in the drip tray.
Thanks, does the top have to be down to check this, cause the top mechanism broke when in service....
You should be able to manually lift the top and put it in "service position" - see owners manual - to access the rear drains, foam drip tray and rear curtain.
Thanks.

wet dry vacuumed, and have been rotating micro fiber towels in seems and where damp. It rained like heck for several hours overnight, the car cover with the lightweight plastic table cloth underneath kept water from seeping in. Rain should be over in a few hours, will try to access the engine skirt with the helpful guidance that has been posted. Thanks a bunch : )
The carpet is thick with a pad underneath and putting the car away covered but with the carpet wet guarantees mold and smells once you take the tarp off. Take the seat out, the carpet out, and blow dry. You can do it.

A link to some info on finding the leaks with diagrams, pictures and a write-up here.
Re: And
carlos in Montreal - 7 years ago
In my case I did the following...

1) vacuumed the carpet out from as much water as I could
2) take thick towels and lay them on the carpet and apply heavy objects on the towel (I used bricks)
3) change towels frequently (every 2 hour or so)
4) once the towels feel dry to the touch, leave doors and top open and place a fan near the back seat and blow, blow, and blow. Don't be surprised if takes a couple of days

good luck thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login