Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
So, I've had a 99 and an 03. 99 was manual. 03 was auto.

03 was a better car in about every way, likely because it had 30k fewer miles, but except for having to replace rear wheel bearings, was flawless.

So Im wanting to get back into a boxster after own a 911 convertible.

I know the IMS is the biggest deal for most people (but my 99 911 had the intermix that was 'repaired', then later blew up with the next owner..).

It seems the 05/06 (?) cars had the more difficult to service IMS bearing.

so, in your opinion, which year Boxster is the best combo of car/price/maintenance
Depending how much you want to spend, think about an 06 987. I'm guessing it might run about $20k

I had a 99 and a 06 base and the 06 was a way better car in every way:
more power, better interior, better suspension and a more solid chassis.

Regarding the IMS, the reports of failures on the 987 are remarkably few, relative to the 986.
+ 1
Roger987 - 7 years ago
MikenOH
Depending how much you want to spend, think about an 06 987. I'm guessing it might run about $20k

I had a 99 and a 06 base and the 06 was a way better car in every way:
more power, better interior, better suspension and a more solid chassis.

Regarding the IMS, the reports of failures on the 987 are remarkably few, relative to the 986.

There were very few IMS failures from 2006 on. The 2005 987 still had the weaker bearing. (My 2005 suffered a failed IMS bearing.) From 2006 on, Porsche used a much beefier bearing, until doing away with it all together in the 2009+ models.
Easy....
MarcW - 7 years ago
2002 base.

307K miles and counting.

Or if you want something newer a 2008 base. Last of the 987 models. (Back in spring of 2009 I bought a new 2008 Cayman S because I felt this was the pinnacle of the 986/987 line.)
MarcW
2002 base.

307K miles and counting.

Or if you want something newer a 2008 base. Last of the 987 models. (Back in spring of 2009 I bought a new 2008 Cayman S because I felt this was the pinnacle of the 986/987 line.)

Marc, out of curiousity, are you still on your original clutch at 300k? 2002 must be the charm! smiling smiley
Yes,....
MarcW - 7 years ago
The clutch is original.
MarcW
The clutch is original.

That is prob a record!
Re: Yes,....
MarcW - 7 years ago
For a 2002 maybe.

In my travels and from occasionally stopping at various Porsche dealers for service I've learned of other high mileage Boxsters. One instance I can recall is back in Jan 2015 at the Springfield MO dealer being told of a 2.5L car with over 300K miles and on its original clutch.

There's always a higher mileage car.

It is ok with me. The more higher mileage Boxsters the better.
after 3 years of abuse, nearly new. Almost now wear.

Its all in the shifting. Iv seen them killed in ONE DAY

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
after 3 years of abuse, nearly new. Almost now wear.

Its all in the shifting. Iv seen them killed in ONE DAY
It's amazing how you can burn a clutch out by launching/riding it badly one time, while if you are careful with it, it'll last 300k+. I mean, I can imagine 100k service life, but 300?! I've read that Ferrari F430 or Lambo Gallardo clutches last about 25k to 35k tops before needing a new one!...and that's if you don't abuse it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 07:21PM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
that's like locking a puppy in the basement :-)

Grant

grant
that's like locking a puppy in the basement :-)

Ha, true but if I had dropped $100k on a used Ferrari or Lambo, I think I'd be careful of crazy launches or riding the clutch for fear of an early $5-6k clutch replacement! smiling smiley
But, that's why you buy a Porsche. It's a "practical" sports car.
db997S
But, that's why you buy a Porsche. It's a "practical" sports car.

True, def a better option for daily driving, reliability, usability, and to be able to park relatively anywhere. However, the price of used F430s and Gallardos are now at or below new 911 prices, and 911s, as good as they are, are a dime a dozen (partly why they are so practical, and you won't be harassed everywhere you go with it). The Ferrari or Gallardo, however, I think provide an aural, visual, and attention grabbing experience that most Porsches (other than prob a CGT or 918) can't deliver. It's one item on my bucket list one day. I've driven several 911s, including a GT3, and while they were all great, none excites me the point of having to have one. The Boxster, while underpowered (well, at least the early ones like mine), provide almost as much driving enjoyment as a 911 IMO. In contrast, I see and hear a Ferrari or Lambo at a cars and coffee event, and I drool. And don't get me wrong...I do love Pcars,...just that I want to try the Fcar too one day! smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2017 04:33PM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
Porsche of Arlington (VA) has a used 2013, white F-car in the showroom. Sadly, it has only 3,500 miles on it (yes, the puppy was kept in the basement, it appears). The sticker did not have the price (if you have to ask, I guess you can't afford it. Even in white, it stands out. I'd buy one, but my wife already thinks I spend too much servicing my Porsche. Couldn't imagine what she'd think of the annual ownership cost of an F-car. They also have two beautiful, new 911 S Cabs (Lava Orange, and what I believe is Mexico Blue). They do stand out.
db997S
Porsche of Arlington (VA) has a used 2013, white F-car in the showroom. Sadly, it has only 3,500 miles on it (yes, the puppy was kept in the basement, it appears). The sticker did not have the price (if you have to ask, I guess you can't afford it. Even in white, it stands out. I'd buy one, but my wife already thinks I spend too much servicing my Porsche. Couldn't imagine what she'd think of the annual ownership cost of an F-car. They also have two beautiful, new 911 S Cabs (Lava Orange, and what I believe is Mexico Blue). They do stand out.

I love the Mexico blue color. Def stands out. The 2013 Fcar is prob still very pricey. Go a little older, and I think you're looking at 911 pricing territory. Regardless, you're right- the service and repair for an Fcar will be even worse than the Pcar. If I owned one, I'd prob only keep it for 4 years or less, just to experience it. I just wish their parts had the longevity of what Porsches provide. 25k miles for a clutch is a little crazy. Apologies btw to the original poster for taking this thread on a tangent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2017 05:03PM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
MarcW

Actually, the last 987 was 2012. 2008 was the last of the 987.1 - the last Boxster with an IMS.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Get the best cared for car. Any car, well maintained, will do well. Any car, poorly treated, will have issues.

Find a good one and pay the premium.

The IMS issue is important, but overblown. Change it (LN) or DOF it, with the clutch - my post a moment ago aside, most people will do a clutch with some regularity.

As noted, newer is basically better. But also costlier. On the track and on the lift, the 981 cars are leagues better. The 987 cars are incrementally (and meaningfully) better than 986s. But in the end, i have a 13 year old 62k miles 986 base, that was used on track for 3 years and AX for 10 (still is) that is almost indistinguishable from new in every way. I expect it to run perfectly for another 13 years.

Unless you plan to track the car and become competitive about it, I'll also note (not all agree) that the pleasure i get from an old base car is almost identical to that which i'd get, on the street, top down, sun shining, in a brand new car with twice the power. Maybe nto really, my old car would likely be more fun since i could push it harder :-)

The used motor in my self-built track car, a different can of fish.

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 09:09AM by grant. (view changes)
My 2002 IMS went at 10,001 miles, while on a road trip. Could have left me stranded in rural OH at midnight in mid October (didn't know it was bad until stopped in Cleveland at 1:00 a.m. where the car left an oil puddle in the hotel parking lot due to a hole in the engine block). Once 2009 came around, I traded my car in for a new one with no IMS. While there are no guarantees in life, not having a known issue in an engine brought me the most peace of mind imaginable. Once you have that experience, you'll never forget it. So, yes, they improved it over time, but to me, it will always be a major flaw in pre-2009 Porsche sports cars. if you buy a pre-2009, make sure you have a good $10K to $12k for a new engine, just in case.
I haven't looked at prices on used Boxsters since I bought mine in 2013, but at that time there seemed to be not a huge difference in prices between the cars with the new 9A1 engine and the 2008 cars.
thanks guys. I'll update once I find something
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login