Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Let my 986 go today. Will buy another, or another German sports car when I can -- a friend is pushing the Mercedes (? I don't know anything about their models). Have been looking at prices at Carmax--any thoughts on how they are to buy from?

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
The replacement engine went bad too?...
Yes. However, I got 13 years out of this car and 110K miles on top of the first owner's mileage, so I'm not dissatsified.
Glad you got some good years from it. Let us know what you end up replacing with.
Neither a P-car but both had no negative comments about the experience.
JackintheBoxster
Let my 986 go today. Will buy another, or another German sports car when I can -- a friend is pushing the Mercedes (? I don't know anything about their models). Have been looking at prices at Carmax--any thoughts on how they are to buy from?

A few months ago a family member had her heart set on a used Lexus LX470 (I think that's the model name/number). She found one at the CarMax site up near Sacramento and asked me to drive her there because she was going to buy the car if it checked out. She had talked to me beforehand and I gave her some advice regarding how to research prices and such and she left her house feeling comfortable about how much the car was worth. 'course, the asking price was high but they always are.

We arrived at CarMax -- big facility and nice inside and very busy -- and she got to the car pretty quick. A walkaround and under the hood inspection found nothing amiss other than a non-functioning automatic radio antenna. The car looked pretty darn good. Oh, I can't recall the year now but it wasn't that old and the mlles were not huge. It wasn't a garage queen but was in nice condition. Test drive went well -- I remained in the back seat and silent for the most part.

Back at the lot we talked on the way to the office and she decided she wanted the car and I agreed it was a good car, albeit a huge car but that was part of the car's charm to the family member. She wanted a bigger car for I guess safety's sake.

At the office the salesman blah blah blah and then the family member made her counter offer. Crickets. And an awkward pause from the salesman. I won't give a blow by blow account I can't recall it now -- but I've heard it before when buying cars. After some back and forth with the family member sticking to her counter offer the salesman left to fetch the manager. The manager -- this the shortened version -- said "we do not negotiate price." "The price listed is the price we sell the car for."

Family member looked at me and I looked at her and said "If there is no negotiation and if you do not want to pay the price listed then you're done." She said she liked the car but the price was too high (and based on research it was and not just a few bucks too high but several thousand dollars too high). I had coached her before that if she was unable to make a deal to get up and walk (slowly) for the door and that's what she (and I) did. There was no "hey come back we can make a deal" or any of that. Drove her the 90 miles or so back to her house then drove the 60 miles back to my house.

Once home she got online and found another suitable car but the car sold before she could make a deal. Then she found yet another suitable car this one I think in Utah and bought it and had it shipped to her. The car she bought was the same model maybe a year older and with a few more miles but in otherwise fine shape and even with the shipping still cost here way under what she would have paid for the example at CarMax. She had her new used car checked out at the local Lexus dealer and the service department found nothing wrong. The car passed smog just fine and she's happy and putting the miles on the car. I've seen the car a few times when she's driven over and it looks nice inside and out -- but big! -- and appears it will deliver her thousands of miles and years of trouble free service.

Overall CarMax is a nice place and for many a nice place to buy a car. But one pays for this, and based on the asking price of the Lexus I think rather dearly. But the place, at least the one we were at, appears to do a lot of business and oh we were there on a rainy day too.
I've heard the same thing, Carmax does not negotiate on sales price. The asking price is their final offer. So, like you did, researching a good price is key for making your decision before buying from them. The nice thing, though, they buy cars, too. So, if you are moving and do not want the hassle of selling a car yourself, you can simply go to Carmax and sell it. Think their price is good for five days, which gives you time to try and sell it on your own.
JackintheBoxster

Looked at some M-B cross over SUV a few years ago. The 350GL or something. Rather a nice size and a nice looking car but the interior was kind of cheap.

Kind of like to own a V12 car butJags don't interest me at all, the BMW 850ci is too old, but the M-B V12 engine, at least some cars that came with this engine, S/SL600, look tempting but I've never gone beyond doing a tiny bit of online research then just kind of losing interest and putting the V12 car idea on the back burner.
MarcW
Kind of like to own a V12

Curious why?
Just kind of like to own a car with a V12 engine. I've never driven a car with that many cylinders and it appears V12 equipped cars are more affordable than any offered with a V10. The Dodge Viper does not interest me in the least.

'course actually finding a car with a V12 engine and buying same is a long way from "kind of like to own one".
If cylinders are key, there is always a Benz or Bentley.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I have driven a few Mercedes and one was their Kompressor two door... can't remember their model numbers for the life of me. One thing was common to all... they plow... like big time. They are made to be comfy cars, even the sports models I drove. They are also very very expensive to fix..... while both of my observations are anecdotal, it may be worth asking around about my comments prior to buying.

The only thing I like about the brand is the safety stuff.... Mercedes builds in many safety features most buyers are completely unaware of. When my wife's Lexus kicks it, or more like she wrecks it, I will seriously consider a Mercedes for her but the only reason will be the safety aspect.... other than that, Mercedes leave me cold.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Agree about your comments on the Mercedes. I've owned a CLK, and wife has an ML. They are solid and comfortable, but really boring and they ride like marshmallows. Also, you see them everywhere you go. Good choice if you like comfort, safety and don't really like to drive. If you are a car guy that really enjoys driving, however, shop elsewhere.
I'd only buy a M-B sedan, but on the ride, hear that Cadillac actually has a firmer ride than M-Bs. Their sports sedans have come a long way, almost too far for some of the older Caddy fans. To steal a line, they are not your grandfather's Caddy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login