Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Three button remote key for 2003 S problem:

I don't get a light blinking(on key head) when any of the three buttons are pressed, the key battery is good, the key will not lock/unlock car or F/R trunks but does allow the car to start and backup key works fine.

Does the above mean the key head needs to be replaced ($146 @ Suncoast) and reprogrammed ($ ?) and the old key blade inserted in new key head after transferring the old pill?

Also, if the new key head needs replacement, does it come with a new pill or do I use the old one?

Thanks
Blackbird
Three button remote key for 2003 S problem:

I don't get a light blinking(on key head) when any of the three buttons are pressed, the key battery is good, the key will not lock/unlock car or F/R trunks but does allow the car to start and backup key works fine.

Does the above mean the key head needs to be replaced ($146 @ Suncoast) and reprogrammed ($ ?) and the old key blade inserted in new key head after transferring the old pill?

Also, if the new key head needs replacement, does it come with a new pill or do I use the old one?

Thanks

Might be a bad key module circuit board. However, sometimes the key can be resurrected by inserting the battery backwards for a bit of time. This I guess in some way results a complete or hard "reset" fo the circuit of the key module that just unplugging the battery doesn't.

BTW, the portion of the key that allows the engine to start is separate from the portion that is involved in the door unlocking/locking.

I am not current on what variations there are regarding key replacement. I have had a couple of keys replaced over the years. They wear out. I believe in my case the dealer parts department orders a new key with the same blade form -- there are a limited number of these blade forms -- with a new RFID pill and a new button circuit board. IOWs, a completely new key.

The car's security module is then accessed using the Porsche diagnostic computer and the old key's RFID ID and its button circuit board ID are removed from the security module and the new key's RFID ID and its button circuit board ID are entered into the security module. (There is a limited number of spaces for key ID's.)

The recommendation is to when getting a new key is to show up with all keys, working/non-working, so the tech can remove any non-working key ID's from the security module.

It could be just a new head with a new circuit board can be purchased and the "old" blade transffered to the new key head. The old key's working RFID pill is transferred to the new key. But still the new key head's button circuit ID has to be entered into the security module and the old key's button circuit ID removed.

I am not sure this saves one any money but you can speak with the service people to find out.
Thanks Marc,

How does the pill work? It does not have battery power.

When the key is inserted in the ignition switch, does the cars security module query the pill and read its ID and compare it to a list in the cars module for a go/no go decision to enable the car to start? If so, what mechanism is used to talk to the pill?

What is the relationship between the button circuit board and the pill--do they depend on each other or are they completely independent and no knowledge of each other?
Blackbird
Thanks Marc,

How does the pill work? It does not have battery power.

When the key is inserted in the ignition switch, does the cars security module query the pill and read its ID and compare it to a list in the cars module for a go/no go decision to enable the car to start? If so, what mechanism is used to talk to the pill?

What is the relationship between the button circuit board and the pill--do they depend on each other or are they completely independent and no knowledge of each other?

The way I understand is when the key is inserted in the ignition switch and turned the security module cause an RF signal to be transmitted from an antenna located behind the ignition switch surround. This RF signal is "focused" to concentrate its RF energy at the key head where the RFID pill is located. The pill is so constructed that when it receives this RF signal the energy alone is sufficient to wake up/power up the RFID's RF circuit which then automatically transmits the pill's ID.

The antenna behind the key surround then receives this transmission and the RF energy is converted into digital data and this digital data -- the RFID's ID -- is then compared to the IDs stored in the security module. If the ID is found the starter is engaged and the engine then at least cranks. (Well, provided the clutch pedal is fully depressed or the Tip/PDK is in Park or Neutral.) Whether the engine starts or not depends upon a number of things but the RFID ID is no longer involved.

Needless to say this all happens in the proverbial blink of an eye so the engine starter reacts as soon as the key is turned past the on position to the start position.

The RFID pill is totally enclosed in some kind of "glass" and isolated from the key button circuit board. One can clearly see this if he takes the key head apart. I do not believe the RFID ID and the key button circuitry and the ID('s) used have anything in common regarding their respective ID's either. Also, the two RF devices: the RFID pill and the key button; rely upon two different antennas. The one for use by the key button RF is located in the windshield frame I believe.
Thank you Marc---very very helpful---Jerry
[pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks for article---Does manual key shown in article contain a pill?
The immobilizer pill is contained in every key's fob whether or not it has a remote, otherwise the car will not start.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Blackbird
Thanks for article---Does manual key shown in article contain a pill?

The pill is shown in my pic below where a little green capsule looking thingy is at the lower right section of the keyfob (below the keyblade). It is easily removed. In that same pic, it shows how you can remove the black plastic wedge held in by the spring which holds the key blade in place. Once you remove the black wedge and spring, you can remove the key blade in case you want to transfer the blade and pill into a new key fob like I did.

Got a new key head, inserted old key blade following Boxtaboy above procedure and had key programmed at porsche dealer.

Total cost including tax, shipping, materials:
Suncoast-- Remote 3 button key head--$158
Southpoint porsche---Programming------$ 87
Total--out of pocket cost---------------------$245

Thanks to all for your help!

Took a 2017 718 Caymen S ($89K) for a one hour test drive---Scary fast for me compared to 2003 Boxster S. I don't know how I would ever use that much power unless I tracked it.
While not cheap, your resolution is still cheaper than having the dealership give you a whole brand new programmed key (at around $500 a pop). Glad you got it sorted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login