Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Speed sensor
Stl_986 - 7 years ago
Which wheel is the one that drives the speedometer on a 2000 with tiptronic? I can't find any definitive answer. I thought it was the front driver side.

Asking because neither speedometer works and the abs light is on. It's not the gear since neither speedometer works.

Thanks
Re: Speed sensor
MarcW - 7 years ago
Stl_986
Which wheel is the one that drives the speedometer on a 2000 with tiptronic? I can't find any definitive answer. I thought it was the front driver side.

Asking because neither speedometer works and the abs light is on. It's not the gear since neither speedometer works.

Thanks

Neither the diagram for the 1998 or 2001 Boxsters indicate which speed sensor is used to drive the speedo. All 4 wheel speed sensors feed into the ABS controller but which one it uses to derive vehicle speed I have no idea.

If I had to guess I'd say it was one of the front wheel speed sensors, unless both fronts or even all 4 are required and some kind of average is obtained.

Unless you get a definitive answer I think you are facing removing each wheel in turn and checking the condition of the wheel speed sensor wiring and if you see it, get at it, the wheel speed sensor.
Are you sure it is not coming from the transmission?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
as a look at the PET showed in illustration 401-05 part #3.

I recall my son has a Mazda that had a bad sensor. Dealer wanted to replace the trans. Midas swapped the sensor for less than $100.
Re: Speed sensor
MarcW - 7 years ago
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S)
Are you sure it is not coming from the transmission?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

That's it. The other day in looking through/tracing the ABS wiring I had it in my mind to look at the Tip transmission controller and then promptly forgot. But your post reminded me and sure enough there is a speed sensor that feeds a signal to the Tip controller.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login