Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Currently my 2002 Boxster has Pirelli tires which is what it came with from the factory 15 years ago. After going through a number of sets of Pirelli tires I switched to Michelin as Pirelli were unavailable or the price difference was in favor of Michelin tires. Then after a few sets of Michelin tires when it came time to get another set of tires Michelin tires were back ordered but Pirelli tires were available and were then fitted.

So the Boxster needs a new set of tires and I dropped it off this AM to new tires (and rear brakes) fitted.

After I got to the office the SM emails me Pirelli no longer makes a tire for my car. The choices are Bridgestone or Michelin tires.

Bridgestone tires are $193.01/each for the fronts and $229.54/each for the rears. The Michelin tires are $10/each more for the front tires and $20/each more for the rear tires.

While I have had good experience with Bridgestone tires on my 996 Turbo (after switching from Continental tires when these were unavailable) I'm going back to Michelin tires on the Boxster.

But I guess this is "goodbye Pirelli tires".
and the Michelin tires are as I expected fantastic. 'course, new tires are always better than the worn and hard/slick and noisy tires they replace.

But today at speed on the freeway I heard the exhaust from the Boxster something I have not heard in a long time. The new tires are very quiet.

Have a wet week ahead and the Boxster will get the bulk of the usage now it has the best tires.
and be glad for the new door membranes you had installed.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
and be glad for the new door membranes you had installed.

I stil check the door bottoms every once in a while after a rain just to be sure they are dry. I expect no problems but water in these cars is not something one wants to deal with if he can avoid it.
But they are not made in 986 sizes. I plan to put SuperSports on my Audi S6 this spring.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I am a bit surprised you liked the Pirelli .. I never liked their products.... wore quickly and were noisy when they did. Michelins were always good for me.... lasted a longer time too with a proper alignment... they are my "go to" brand.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S)
I am a bit surprised you liked the Pirelli .. I never liked their products.... wore quickly and were noisy when they did. Michelins were always good for me.... lasted a longer time too with a proper alignment... they are my "go to" brand.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Pirelli were ok tires. More than ok really. They did get noisy when near the end but this is true of the Michelin tires and on my 996 Turbo the Continental and Bridgestone tires. But I got good service life out of Pirelli tires comparable to what I managed to get out of the Michelin tires.

When Michelin tires were close to the same price as Pirelli tires, and in one or two cases on "sale" and less than the Pirelli tires, Michelin tires were "ok" too. Sometimes I didn't have a choice either. A few tires sets back Michelin tires were back ordered for like months. No way I could wait/postpone getting new tires so I had to switch back to Pirelli.

Had the car out in the rain today. More rain than we have had in a long time. Roads very wet with water everywhere. The new Michelin tires were just fine in the wet. Nice. Very nice. Good tires.

Just hope it keeps up like this for a while. I'm tired of buying new tires mainly at the start of the rainy season (more like rainly week...) only to have the rain stop and then of course there is no rain for months and months and then when the next rainy season rolls around the tires are worn down some. 'course, for some years now I could get by with worn tires since rainfalll was light and very infrequent. Not this year though. Having some nice bouts of rain. Been raining all day from the early hours before dawn to even now I hear water gurgling through the downspouts.

Anyhow, the tires on the Turbo have plenty of tread but I don't want to be driving the Turbo day and day our as it racks up the miles too quickly and before you know it it is time to have it in for service.
pirelli were pretty good on mine as well. Im a continental fan tho
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login