Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
OK, so what do we think of Top Gear American style???
dennisafrompa - Thursday, 25 November, 2010, at 7:35:47 am
I didn't think it was all bad. probably better than if NBC did it. I think it will take time for the personalities to develope like some sitcoms do.

I wonder what the first year of Top Gear UK was like and how it grew to what it is now. I think being on cable will allow it the time, the big 4 wouldn't give that time.

The camera work was good I thought.
Re: OK, so what do we think of Top Gear American style???
extanker - Thursday, 25 November, 2010, at 8:30:15 am
the chopper and the viper,that was enuf to untune me
Doomed............... *NM*
JFP in PA - Thursday, 25 November, 2010, at 9:46:05 am
“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
Too soon to tell....
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Thursday, 25 November, 2010, at 10:23:27 am
as you said a lot of Top Gear (British Style) is the interaction/personalities of the hosts. It's not clear if the American version has the same dynamics.

When I watch TG I spend a lot of time LMAO smiling bouncing smiley - not the same from the US version.

Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Clarkaddison - Thursday, 25 November, 2010, at 11:13:59 am
Haven't watched, but can't imagine how it can be as good as the original. Especially when they satirize us.
mcfly777 - Thursday, 25 November, 2010, at 3:12:53 pm
I watched it yesterday. I thought it was sad that there was no attempt to differentiate itself from the original version. It was also weird to not have referenced the original show at any point, sort of treating the spectator like an idiot.

It seems that unfortunately this was a total transfer of the show structure powered by marketing. We will see how this develops over time. The cars are the same, the format was the same, but the feeeling was strange...

Will I be watching ? Yes. But hopefully they notice the feedback and adapt themselves.

Leo
I saw an interview of the three presenters that was made after shooting of the first season was finished. They seemed to get along pretty well. I hope we see more of that in coming episodes. They will never match the original UK team, but wisely they are not trying to do that. We already knew that Tanner Faust is good at car control and we see some more of it here. That was probably the best part of the show for me. For being the stand-up comedian, Adam Ferrara was too serious in the first episode. Rutledge Wood seems okay, I just hope he does not just become the butt of every joke about being southern and a NASCAR fan.

Even if it does not get much better, we finally have an American alternative to the terminally boring Motorweek. And we still have the original Top Gear, Top Gear Australia and Fifth Gear, which has its interesting moments. Not only do we live in an era with an awesome choice of great cars, we have more choices of car programming, too. [Begin rant] If only Speed would show less NASCAR and more international road racing, European LeMans Series, Carrera Cup, BTCC, DTM, etc. And when they do show it, run it during the racing season, not as winter filler. [End rant]
slotsunami - Thursday, 25 November, 2010, at 5:36:39 pm
For me the verdict is still out, it is always hard to compete with a successful original. I will give the personalities a chance to interact better with each other. A few more shows and we will see if they return next season.
The main problem with the US version is that the US laws do not allow the same type of "stunts" that they had in the UK version. Also as Ed said there was really on interaction between the hosts. I don't even know which host was the main host. I will watch it again, maybe it just needs to develop more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login