Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Late last fall just before storing my 06 Boxster S I started the car and backed out of garage to clean car but never got to it for a few hrs.Everything sounds fine when I started the car.
When I went out to wash the car I started it up to raise the roof and the engine started an extremely loud knocking like a bad rod, freaked me out.I had read previously that
if u get a collapsed lifter it could cause that and to drive the car slowly ,no hard throttle until the engine warms up a bit and the lifter should eventually build up oil pressure
and if your lucky no internal damage.Well after driving around the block for approx 10 minutes the noise slowly started to fade and eventually stop.
Since that day I now have a constant light ticking noise from the engine regardless of engine temp or how long it has been driven.Sounds very similar to a cold start
tick that most hear on the Boxster till they warm up a bit.My question is could that have caused any Bore scoring and piston wear and thats the piston now rocking in the cylinder and
lightly tapping on the head at the top of the stroke. Thanks for any feedback that may put my mind at ease.Will be hopefully pulling the car out soon if the weather
continues to improve here in Ontario,Canada!
moresquirt
Late last fall just before storing my 06 Boxster S I started the car and backed out of garage to clean car but never got to it for a few hrs.Everything sounds fine when I started the car.
When I went out to wash the car I started it up to raise the roof and the engine started an extremely loud knocking like a bad rod, freaked me out.I had read previously that
if u get a collapsed lifter it could cause that and to drive the car slowly ,no hard throttle until the engine warms up a bit and the lifter should eventually build up oil pressure
and if your lucky no internal damage.Well after driving around the block for approx 10 minutes the noise slowly started to fade and eventually stop.
Since that day I now have a constant light ticking noise from the engine regardless of engine temp or how long it has been driven.Sounds very similar to a cold start
tick that most hear on the Boxster till they warm up a bit.My question is could that have caused any Bore scoring and piston wear and thats the piston now rocking in the cylinder and
lightly tapping on the head at the top of the stroke. Thanks for any feedback that may put my mind at ease.Will be hopefully pulling the car out soon if the weather
continues to improve here in Ontario,Canada!

Not likely. Bore scoring can arise from a number of causes but most often due to marginal lubrication coupled with high loads/temperatures. Besides the piston doesn't make contact with the head it makes a noise because at certain points in its travel in the cylinder it has too much clearance.

Furthermore, that I assume the CEL remained dark during all of this suggests that while the symptoms are obviously scary they are not a sign the engine is at death's door.

There are a number of things that can explain the noise. I won't list them due to time constraints but unless you are comfortable dealing with an engine that is making noises such as you describe you might want to consider getting the car to (via a flat bed tow truck just to be cautious) a qualified tech and relate the circumstances of the noise's appearance and let him give a listen and offer his thoughts/diagnosis.

He can put the car on a lift and from underneath the car give a careful listen to pinpoint the source of the noise. From this and other investigative steps/actions he should have a good idea of where the noise is coming from and what it means and what to do about it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login