Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Got my new Continental tires put on and immediately notice the yellow light which thought would go out qafter a few miles--no joy.
Made sure the sizes and type of tire setting were right--no joy.

With the tires, I had the valve stems replaced; is there anything involved when you replace the stems that something else has to happen to have the system re-learn the TPMS?

The display reads "No monitoring system is learning". How many miles does it need to learn?

(edited subject to read TPMS. frogster)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 09:05PM by frogster. (view changes)
Finally--the numbers came up. I was hoping this wasn't going to be complicated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 09:06PM by frogster. (view changes)
What year is your car? The batteries maybe fading. Bad news, you can't replace the batteries, you need all new sensors. My car is going on 8 years. Dreading the day I need new tires because I may bite the bullet and swap out the sensors at the same time. I should make it beyond 9 years before the need for new rubber happens. Love having the senors that indicate actual tire temps. My wife's car doesn't display the temp. The light just comes on if pressure gets below a certain level. By then, it could be too late.

Should have read TPMS instead of PSM. When I change the street wheels back after a track day, the light stay on for maybe 1/4 mile; this change seemd like it took forever, making me wonder if something with the tire change went wrong--but everything is working now. Maybe it was the use of Non-N spec tires ? winking smiley

Just wondering. Were you able to replace just the valve stems? I thought the valve stem/sensor was one unit.

When a friend replaced the failing sensors on his Porsche, he did have to drive it a mile or so before the TPMS recognized the new sensors, so that seems normal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 09:07PM by frogster. (view changes)
I thought I was billed for it but will take another look on the invoice.
I'll go over to the suncoast site and see if they have a good pic of the sensor.
-----------
After further review, it would seem clear they didn't replace the OE valve stems:
[www.suncoastparts.com]

The sensor and stem are separate parts, but replacing the stem isn't cheap. @ $25/each, my bill for mounting and balancing would have been double what it was.
As another respondent suggested, replacing this system is going to be expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 10:33PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
.... TPMS may be due to a low battery or new sensor(s).
The computer needs to receive all 4 signals and if it had a previous signal that differs from what it's getting it has to reload the info (sometimes multiple times).
You don't have to use the Porsche TPMS sensors.
There are several less costly alternatives.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I bought a 2007 boxster a few months ago and the TPC Inactive warning is driving me crazy. So I bought four new sensors and last weekend I had them installed at the local NTB. They've always done reasonable work for me in the past.

After a week, including a drive to San Antonio and back (about 1.5 hours drive time) and the system is still showing an error and no indication that anything is changing. What gives? Could they have installed them wrong? Is there something else I should be looking at? Is there a trick to getting the car to notice the sensors?
With all the old gang showing up around here lately, I was wondering about some of the people who hadn't shown up. You were among those I thought about and now you've posted. Wow, what a trip.
How are things?
I sold the boxster many moons ago and we are now living on the west coast of canada, west of vancouver, not so far from seattle. i pop in here once in a while to see what's up but don't have a boxster and doubt i will.
all the best to you

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Thanks! Great seeing familiar names.

Finally upgraded from my 1999 to a 2007. The differences are amazing. I put a Kenwood DDX9902S with Car Play and I'm loving that. Still in Austin, kid is 10 years old now. I retired from the Marine Reserves last year, I was getting too old to stay in front of those whipper snappers. I can't believe it's been 19 years since I put the boxster on order at the dealership!
check pm, my friend

aloha

steve
It's good to hear you're back in a Boxster.
The first gen 987 is quite finicky about its canBUS and I've had a couple where we physically had to use the PIWIS to tell it that it had TPMS.
Check with your shop to see if they can refresh its memory.
BTW it's also good to see you around here as well.
Don't be a stranger.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Hey Skyler...
Skyler - 6 years ago
Thanks Pedro. I hope it's that simple. I wonder if the durametric can do it?
Or at least I couldn't get it to do that. It first tricked me by saying it was reading pressure on the tires, but all four tires read 5.38 BAR. I realized that couldn't be true because the fronts are less than the rears, that that many BAR comes out to about 78psi. I tested that by dropping the pressure on one tire to about 15psi and I never saw a change on the durametric reading.

To be fair, I'm a mac guy, and I was using the wife's PC. I've used it before with no problems, but she must have really done something to it because it was dog slow.

Regardless, I still have a problem that I've sunk about $450 into and I'm no further ahead with solving it. I'm not happy. I probably need to go to the local shop, but I really don't want to spend more money on this annoying problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login