Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Car sat for 4 months. Remote key doesn't work. Battery good (3.1V), light flashes. Nothing happens.

I removed the battery for 60 sec.

I put it in the ignition and then tried to use it.

No Joy.

remind me?

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Try this
Boxsterra - 6 years ago
* Switch on ignition with key and valid transponder.
* Switch off ignition.
* Remove ignition key from steering lock.
* Operate transmitter within 6 seconds after the key has been removed. The lock-in range has now been reset to zero (as is the case with every recognized transmitter operation).
first, other key operates properly.

Took other (working) key, turn on, turn off. Operate "bad key". Red light flashes, no joy.

Changed battery "just in case". Same procedure. No joy.

G

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2017 02:27PM by grant. (view changes)
take the key battery out. Put it back in backwards for 3 seconds. Take it out. Put it back in normally.

This procedure supposedly resets the PROM on the key head.
Grant

The LED flashes so I know something's going on.

With the door closed what I do is insert the key in the door lock and turn the key to the left 2 times. When I remove the key and try the button the door locks respond.

If this doesn't help and you have of course tried turning the key to the right 2 times you can try the flip the battery around "fix" suggested by Boxsterra.
Grant

Could also be
Boxsterra - 6 years ago
An intermittent connection between the key switch and the circuit board. You can try checking for visible damage and also reflow the solder.
The circuit is being activated it seems....

I have tried:

key to "accessory", then off, then use
two turns right, then use
two turns left, then use
reverse polarity, return, then use
remove battery, then use (but then you knew that, since i turned it over ..)
various curses (strange, they usually help)

Key does work mechanically, including for arming/disarming alarm.

G

Grant

Here's how
Boxsterra - 6 years ago
Quick intermittent breaks in the switch will cause the remote to restart its code sequence. The light will continue to flash but the complete code sequence won't ever happen.
don't forget that the transmitter has no relation to the anti-theft RFID chip (pill).

the former locks/unlocks the doors and arms/disarms the alarm, the latter allows the engine to run.

the fact that it appears that neither system is working is a good indication that the key has been forgotten. Otherwise it's possible that one system would work and the other not.

does the LED on the center of the dash blink when you press the button on the key?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
And as noted above, yes, the LED blinks normally whenever i press the button.

thanks for the input,

Grant

Grant

Have you tried putting the key into the door lock with door closed and lock the car, then unlock the car (so, turn right and then left), and then try to start the car? Then, try the remote buttons. That's what I did when I changed my car battery (and left the battery out for a long time before putting the new one in). The key had to be synced again, as it wouldn't start the car at first. After I did the previously mentioned, it worked again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login