Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
As many of you might know, a long time ago, I put an 03 top and frame on my 01 Boxster. I'm noticing that after you've had the top down for a while, and then you put the top back up, there's a raised bump in the fabric that eventually flattens, but is clearly a point where eventually I think it will wear through. I posted this thread in the 986forum as well, and there are people there who say they already have holes in that exact location. Upon inspection, there is plastic tab that sits on the 4th rib that pokes at the fabric of the top when the top is put down. See pics below of the tab itself. The second pic shows my proof that the tab presses against the fabric (I put baby powder on the tab and then lowered the top).

My temporary solution is to put thick Gorilla tape in that spot to help protect the fabric. Some have removed the tab, and I may end up doing that as well, but for now will keep it there because I believe Porsche put it there for a reason. Maurice (the top expert) thinks the tab is there on the 4th bow to help prevent another part from going behind the rib. If anyone has any other information to add, please do.

I have an "03 but did not have this problem with my top. However, a year ago the fabric that attaches to the bottom of the rear window separated from the glass. My options were fixing the top at a cost of $1000 since the whole top had to be removed fixed and re attached (it was pretty worn after 12 years) or I was offered an aftermarket top installed for $1600 which I had done. When the top was off I had it checked for any irregularities that might rip or pull on the new top and it was ok.
Ruby
I have an "03 but did not have this problem with my top. However, a year ago the fabric that attaches to the bottom of the rear window separated from the glass. My options were fixing the top at a cost of $1000 since the whole top had to be removed fixed and re attached (it was pretty worn after 12 years) or I was offered an aftermarket top installed for $1600 which I had done. When the top was off I had it checked for any irregularities that might rip or pull on the new top and it was ok.

Thanks for the info. It's interesting how some people have seen this problem in their 03/04 tops while others haven't. I wonder if there's an adjustment somewhere to fix the problem. How are you finding the aftermarket top btw? Do you like it?
... and I cannot figure out why it's there in the first place.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
REMOVED...
CarreraLicious - 6 years ago
I had those annoying bumps appear in the top fabric even after applying the gorilla tape, so I just removed those suckers. The tabs are easy to come out with a T20 torx screw, and can be returned if really needed. I see no need though. Removed them, put the top down, drove around to see if I could detect any extra movement in the top, pulled back into my house and put the top back up. No more marks on the roof fabric and I can't see any difference in the way the top works. Done.

those aren't the sensors that deactivate the passenge seat ejection system when tbe top is up?
Sorry for the late reply just saw your reply. Top looks as good as an original. Only problem is it has to be stretched out after installing which occurs over a month but in my case they had to loosen up some rear cables. Very pleased with the top and cost saving as a dismantler was asking for $2600 for top without installation.
I used a fabric patch on the inside but it's basically the same thing. I haven't given it much further thought.
Boxsterra
I used a fabric patch on the inside but it's basically the same thing. I haven't given it much further thought.

I might end up removing those tabs. There's a guy on 986forum who already just removed them, and sees no ill effects by doing so. Even with the gorilla tape there, I see a bump after putting the top up. It eventually will wear through...
I removed them more than a year ago and there have been no ill effects. So far in all the discussions on 986Forum and here nobody seems to know why they are there in the first place. My guess is they were there to help the material fold properly as the top is lowered but it seems to me that once they grab the material even slightly they start to work their way into it and actually stretch the fabric producing the bulge and eventually the hole.

So if Pedro is removing them and I did mine a year ago with no ill effects that's good enough for me. And they can always be put back if necessary.
paulofto
I removed them more than a year ago and there have been no ill effects. So far in all the discussions on 986Forum and here nobody seems to know why they are there in the first place. My guess is they were there to help the material fold properly as the top is lowered but it seems to me that once they grab the material even slightly they start to work their way into it and actually stretch the fabric producing the bulge and eventually the hole.

So if Pedro is removing them and I did mine a year ago with no ill effects that's good enough for me. And they can always be put back if necessary.

If you look at the design of the tab, logically, it looks like it creates a space between the bow above it, so that the 3rd bow doesn't hit the 4th bow. In addition, there's a tab that sticks up from the spacer, and that would suggest that it is there to prevent the 3rd bow when lowered from allowing lateral movement (left/right) when cornering. Thus, I can see how over time, the plastic ball caps can be stressed out of position, and hence, you saw on the 986forum how one guy said that after he removed the tabs and cycled his top a few times, one of his plastic ball caps broke. It may be a coincidence, but who knows. I have mine out, and so far no ill effects, but will monitor it over time. What I do think is that when the top is down, it might be too far down, which then pushes the tab against the fabric of the roof. I say this because in my first picture, you see a raised bump, but also a dimple to the right of that bump (whereby the tab presses the bump, but also presses through the fold which creates a dimple). Maybe just readjusting the roof so that it doesn't lower that much will solve the problem without having to remove the tabs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login