Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
So I'm thinking of having a paint restoration job on my soon to be 18 year old Boxster (1999 Forest Green) and this will likely include removal of the front bumper. Car has about 85K miles. What should I think about having done in the way of maintenance or upgrades when we're in this neck of the woods? The only two tasks that I can think of are ... radiator cleaning and trunk release cable relocation. Anything else?

After the paint and body work have been refreshed, I thought of perhaps having a Ceramic Pro coating applied and toss my waxing products to simplify the cars' upkeep. Any thoughts on using this coating as a replacement for regular waxing?

And yes ... I'm the guy that came within a whisker of acquiring a 2016 Spyder and have also looked at the 718 ... call me crazy but the sound of that little NA 2.5 never gets old and the analog simplicity of the gen one car is great! After 13 years. it's still hard to part with my first Porsche!

Unless an careful inspection of the condensers and radiators and lines/hoses and connections find signs of a problem (a leak or possibly a bracket cracking) you shouldn't have to do anything when the front bumper cover is off, other than of course a good cleaning and the routing of the emergency release you mentioned.

If you find one or more hoses in need of replacement the general rule is if one hose is bad all hoses (of the same age) are bad or could go bad and thus all hoses should be replaced.

So far I've needed to replace nothing under the front bumper cover and I (or a tech) has had the bumper cover off (mostly for cleaning) on my 2002 Boxster a number of times. Each time both condensers, both radiators, and all the associated hardware have been just fine. The only replacement that has been done as been due to in one case hitting some road debris (which broke a radiator), and one of the radiator fan ballast resistors died and had to be replaced.
Merci Marc !
Indybox
So I'm thinking of having a paint restoration job on my soon to be 18 year old Boxster (1999 Forest Green) and this will likely include removal of the front bumper. Car has about 85K miles. What should I think about having done in the way of maintenance or upgrades when we're in this neck of the woods? The only two tasks that I can think of are ... radiator cleaning and trunk release cable relocation. Anything else?

After the paint and body work have been refreshed, I thought of perhaps having a Ceramic Pro coating applied and toss my waxing products to simplify the cars' upkeep. Any thoughts on using this coating as a replacement for regular waxing?

And yes ... I'm the guy that came within a whisker of acquiring a 2016 Spyder and have also looked at the 718 ... call me crazy but the sound of that little NA 2.5 never gets old and the analog simplicity of the gen one car is great! After 13 years. it's still hard to part with my first Porsche!

I love your Forest Green car against the green trim of the old Texaco station! Agree besides cleaning and relocating the emergency release cable there's not too much else to so. Perhaps lube your latch?

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
Add 'gutter guard' mesh intake screens. It will help reduce crap from getting to your rads.
Replace both horns, they are low and can collect water and fail. I had one go bad on my 2001S and it would not pass state inspection with only 1 horn. The parts are $11 each and easy to replace once the bumper is off (10 minutes). FYI: there are two different tones, you need one of each.
Ooh, love those rims, IndyBox. Sooo purdy!
Purdy indeed! OE exclusive option 17 inch Sport Classic wheels.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login