Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Here's the link; scroll down to the video:

[www.motortrend.com]

Couldn't have said it better myself.... Well, actually, maybe I could, because even when the pedal's to the metal, it still sounds like an unfortunate 'fart joke'.
Roger987
Here's the link; scroll down to the video:

[www.motortrend.com]

Couldn't have said it better myself.... Well, actually, maybe I could, because even when the pedal's to the metal, it still sounds like an unfortunate 'fart joke'.

I think that pretty much is the same conclusion that Chris Harris came to in his test.

[www.topgear.com]

If you're buying a car by the numbers or you "need" a car with the fastest 0 - 60 time, then the 718 is the way to go.

If you want a car that gives you the total package - looks exciting, feels exciting and sounds exciting the way a Porsche should, then those of us who are lucky to have one with a flat six will be holding onto them. True, we'll be suffering from the biggest permagrin every time we fire up our cars and drive them, whether it's to the grocery store or dancing through some twisties, but hey, we can handle it. smiling bouncing smiley
So, the 718S is much faster, has gobs of low end torque, handles much better, braking distances are shorter, possesses a more linear feel, is right behind the GT4 on the track, as the base 718 manual, is right on the tail of the S on the same track, and is a beautiful sports car.

But it's sound is more 'muted' in the high rev range, when the top is dropped. For many that's not a bad trade-off.

That Sport Exhaust can spell police trouble when you get into it, as I discovered in my 991. I'm very satisfied with my 981 Cayman, even if a bit more low end torque would be appreciated.

For someone who has never done a four wheel drift, doesn't track or autocross his Boxster, and probably rarely gets into 6-7,000 great rev music territory while group cruising, nit picking the 718 seems disingenuous IMHO.

Different strokes.....

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Having grown up in the '60's when the Porsche was still viewed by most as a "funny little car", I don't mind the sound of a four...my dad had a '66 912 which was a lovely car. Not particularly fast, but a helluva lot of fun to drive. But when the 911's were around, that howl of a six was intense.

For me, it still gets me goin'. If someone were to give me a 718, I think I'd sell it and buy last year's six cylinder Boxster. Fast is great, but I'll take almost as fast with the sound of the flat six. If I wanted a track toy (and had the vig) I'd buy a Beck 904, put a hellaciously powerful air cooled six in it and make hay. Frankly, I'd rather have one of those than almost anything-I've been in love with the 904 ever since I built the Monogram kit back in '65. Of course, to be fair, in the beginning it came with a twin cam flat four....

Just my .02, don't mean to ruffle any feathers out there. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
...and I agree that my all-time favorite Porsche is the 904

[static1.squarespace.com]

Regarding the 718, I'm not sure at this time if I'd buy one or not. I do like the added power and torque and I'm constantly being told by my wife that I'm going deaf, so the exhaust note, in my case, may be a moot point soon.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
...and I agree that my all-time favorite Porsche is the 904

Regarding the 718, I'm not sure at this time if I'd buy one or not. I do like the added power and torque and I'm constantly being told by my wife that I'm going deaf, so the exhaust note, in my case, may be a moot point soon.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

The good news in this is, that you can still hear your wife telling you're going deaf. Once you stop hearing that, it will become a mute point.

I agree, for those people who are racing and are in it to win and that's the only goal, I can see that a couple of tenths will make a difference, be it turbo, PDK, DRS

For those who are in it for the pure enjoyment and full engagement in the driving experience, they will more likely go with manual, NA and satisfaction of accomplishment of their driving skills. That would account for some drivers preferring a manual in the GT3 (and of course other Porsches).

I recall the interview with Andreas Preuninger head of the Porsche GT development stating how, after driving the GT4, that he hadn't had that much fun driving a car in quite a while.

So it all comes down to what you want to get out of the driving experience. No rights or wrongs. It's just nice when we have a choice.

Wouldn't it be nice if Porsche offered a NA Flat Six version of the Boxster. Call it the Boxster GT or whatever. Then we'd have a choice. I wonder what that would do for Boxster sales.
Someone should offer a 904 style body for the Boxster. Front and rear clamshells and all. I think it would look great and access to the engine and everything else would be outstanding.
Pedro just tell her your hearing has become "selective"...
that is a gorgeous picture of the 904. i think that has to be one of THE most gorgeous, sexiest cars of all time. i love that car so much.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login