Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Shock Absorbers
george g - 6 years ago
I have a 2003 Boxster S with 102k miles with original shocks. Under normal driving (no track or auto x) how long will they last? They don't leak and pressing on the fenders is firm. Except for noticing small pot holes and expansion joints the ride is OK. What do you suggest?

Thanks George
The real question is whether or not you are losing ride control. None of the things you mention really get to that. Does the car "float" on the highway or do the springs keep oscillating after a bump? No? --- all is well.

The shocks do last a long time. It really depends how hard they have been used. rolling down a highway wont wear them much.

Happy boxstering!

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I suppose Bilstien makes good Porsche shocks. Thanks for the input.

George
Black body, twin tube = OEM ride
Yellow body, "HD" = higher performance, harsher ride, traditional ride height (might raise it 1/4" due to high pressure gas)
PSS9 - adjustable coilover. Set your own height and damping rebound. Acceptable for street, btu quite stiff even at softest. Great for track.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Shock Absorbers
MarcW - 6 years ago
george g
I have a 2003 Boxster S with 102k miles with original shocks. Under normal driving (no track or auto x) how long will they last? They don't leak and pressing on the fenders is firm. Except for noticing small pot holes and expansion joints the ride is OK. What do you suggest?

Thanks George

I've wanted to renew my 2002 Boxster's suspension/shocks and the techs tell me the car drives just fine and there is no need to do anything unless say a shock develops a leak.

So the car currently has over 310K miles on its original suspension and everything's still ok.

With just 102K miles on your 2003 Boxster my suggestion is you drive the car more.
smileys with beer. Thanks Marc. What a great car.

George
the degradation of ride quality is very gradual. If you were to replace them you might be surprised at how much nicer the ride gets. So though technically you don't have to replace them, you might want to anyway. I replaced mine first at 60k (I drive the car pretty hard) and felt like the car rode like glass afterwards.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login