Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Self dimming mirrors
Ed B - 6 years ago
Anyone know how to hack SDM's to make them dim darker?

Ed B confused smiley
Ed B
Anyone know how to hack SDM's to make them dim darker?

Ed B confused smiley

IIRC the amount of dimming is determined by the voltage fed to the dimming feature. Might start checking if the voltage level is up to spec. (I have no idea what this should be.) Aging connections might be causing a bit of a voltage drop.

Be sure the rear view mirror glass is clean. Over time the mirror surface can develop a film mainly from the volatiles that come from the outgassing of the interior. Use a gentle cleaner. (I use a clean soft rag soaked in hot water then wrung out to wipe down the mirror.) Be sure the rear window is clean outside and inside. The inside of the rear window (like all inside window/glass surfaces) develops a film that needs to be removed once in awhile.

On the subject of a film developing on the inside glass surfaces the mirror should have a sensor facing rearward and one facing forward. These too can get a film over them. However, I am not sure how one would clean these. Just thinking out loud... maybe a Q-Tip? Whatever you decide to try be very very gentle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login