Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Guys-

I need to install ( i think, unless you can point me to one i can "piggy-back" on) an oil temp sender in my 986S.

I plan to use one of the oil galley plugs on the top of the motor.

a) do you know the size and threading?
b) if I were to buy, say, this:

VDO unit on fleabay

Would i be able to use an adapter from the 3/8" thread to whatever is in the block?

or, alternatively, is this a better choice:
Porsche part
996 606 405 01

and does **it** screw directly in there?

TIA,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
In order to measure oil temperature, oil needs to flow over the sensor.
If you use one of the ports on the head (14 mm thread) you will not have flow. You can install an oil pressure sensor, but not a temp.
If you drill and tap into the oil pan extension (spacer) then you can get true temp at the sump.
I made a part that serves two purposes on my car.
I put a 2" hexagonal block of aluminum in series with my Direct Oil Feed oil line.
Into that block I drilled and tapped and installed my oil temperature sensor.
The two purposes: Measures oil temperature after the cooler and absolutely tells me that my IMS bearing is being lubricated (because I can read temp).
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro, do you know where the oil temperature sensor is located in the 981? Just curious because I can see the oil temperature change relatively quickly after changing engine speeds / loads.
... I'm pretty sure it's integrated into the oil level sensor on the bottom of the oil pan.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

That was my guess, to have both sensors in one unit. I know it takes a lot longer for the oil to reach operating temperature than it takes the coolant.
the oil maintains heat much longer too. Slow up, slow down. topped at about 260 in that car.

Grant

thanks! *NM*
grant - 6 years ago
Grant

can you elaborate?

Grant

When you put the sensor at the end of the galley on the head, you close the chamber.
Pressure builds up which the pressure sensor reads but oil isn't flowing.
Heck, oil may not even reach the sensor since there may be a bubble of trapped air which will transmit the pressure built up, but not the temperature.
That's why in my case I make the oil flow through so that I can read the temp.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login