Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have to push my clutch pedal harder and harder to start the car. I'm told the switch fails, and messing with alignment, unless obviously moved, is not productive.

Any tip on access etc., and, what is the p/n so I can order one?

TIA,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Why don't you just eliminate the clutch interlock switch?
It's something else that can fail.
I removed mine the first week of ownership, almost 20 years ago.
Happy Boxsteting
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
grant
I have to push my clutch pedal harder and harder to start the car. I'm told the switch fails, and messing with alignment, unless obviously moved, is not productive.

Any tip on access etc., and, what is the p/n so I can order one?

TIA,

Grant

The part # I don't recall. And the part # could be different if Porsche has upgraded the switch. I just picked up a replacement at the dealer parts counter. The switch wasn't expensive. If you replace the clutch interlock switch you probably should replace the brake light switch and the cruise control disengagment switches at the clutch and brake pedal as well. They all see about the same number of operational cycles even if you don't have cruise control on all that often.

The parts drawing at this link might be of some help.

[www.autoatlanta.com]

The only access tip I can offer is take about 30 years or more of age off. I replaced the brake light switch myself. What a pain in the neck, back, shoulders, legs, arms, everywhere. Afterwards I hurt in places I didn't know I had places.

Then I learned switches, bulbs, air filters, even the inside rear view mirror, the service department replaces at no charge as long as I buy the parts there at the dealer parts department. So after the brake light switch replacement when the other switches needed replacement I just made arrangements with the SM to have a tech replace the switches. Took the tech just a minute or two. The techs do this all the time and they know any tricks or gotchas.
I got back under the dash (unfortunately at my current age...) and figured it out. What i had failed to see what that the switch contains a lever arm that is the activator. I had not been able to see that previously and its operation was mysterious....

Got one on order. I don't want to de-activate it (i know, a first for me) because after 40 years of driving cars with such lock-outs, that one time, mi might do somethign stupid. I did make a jumper however with two 1/4" spades and a short jumper for emergencies :-)

The "clutch interlock safety switch" is p/n

997 613 109 50 (updated) and
Intermotor - NS-578
996# - cant find

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login