Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hey, So traveling to LA last weekend put top down--no problems--- and my top has not given me any problems or warning, anyway went to put top up and heard a loud pop and went to put the top down and the windows didnt go up all the way and got message top not in limit position- so pulled into a parking lot to inspect , unlatched roof and went to close top and moved the clamshell back , saw that the right side lift pivot ball broke , for the pushrod, i have had that happen prevoiusly about a year ago no probs since, so i try to manuver the pushrod as not to damage the drain or the top went to auto put the clamshell down heard another pop and i went to inspect and the hydraulic on the pass side pulled off and bent the boomarang looks like the pushrod got stuck bound up the mechanism and forced the hyraulic, so i popped off the driverside and put the top in manual mode, but the top still says not in limit position and windows wont go up all the way, ive latched and relatched the top , and the clamshell is lifted more on the right side but ive pushed down and same message, so i may have no choice but to take it to porsche- the advisor said it may be a bad transmission, but a master porsche tech said prob not cuz he has seem them rip off the fender before they break,maybe they are out of synch, since i was fiddling with it up and down to get it closed to travel home --- for a slight moment i did get a top control failure but it went away ---- any ideas??...im ok with manual mode for now but sure would like my windows to work--- any info appreciated, and if it needs transmissions ....ive seen the price ...any idea where to get reman or rebuilt or used ones??...thanks in advance
First, there are no hydraulic pistons for the convertible in a Boxster, only in the 911.
What I believe you're calling a hydraulic is just a pushrod.
You'll certainly need a new socket to replace the broken one.
The pushrods may be bent. They can be corrected, but keep in mind they are not straight to start with.
I doubt that it is the transmission because both sides are moving, but I have seen many of them with an internal nylon sprocket broken.
If that's the case there's a gentleman who makes and sell them. Google it.
A new transmission is very expensive and a used one needs to be from the same model as you have, otherwise they won't fit.
It sounds thought that you need to replace the socket, maybe straighten out a pushrod and synchronize both sides so the top and the clamshell operate balanced.
Happ Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Im hoping so Pedro...I will know more tomorrow, Im forced to take it to Porsche, but being that I work in the automotive buisness , I have some contacts over there, so I will get a full diag for 85.00 and Ill go from there, i think for sure the transmissions are out of sync , I dont think the top or frame is bent because it lines up flush all around , but the clamshell just dont sit flush on the side thats broken ....hooping for semi good news tomorrow
Pedro is right
Boxsterra - 6 years ago
The ball cap on the end of the convertible top pushrod has broken. You can get replacements for super cheap on eBay (search for "boxster convertible cap" without quotes).

It's not complicated to fix but don't try to operate the top.
Just got news back from Porsche they say it needs both transmissions and the pushrod and pivot to the tune of about 1800.00. So I'm bummed any links or info to rebuilding them or buying used or anything to help me out ? Btw the windows aren't going up because the microswitch is internal to one of the transmissions.... please any help appreciated thanks
I doubt that you need to replace the transmissions. If one or both of the pushrods is bent you can usually bend it back well enough by taking it out and putting it in a vice. If you don't have a vice you can take it to a shop that will do it for you for next to nothing (or nothing). As I mentioned above, the ball cap is cheap to replace.

As a stopgap you can get the windows to go up by putting the key in the driver's door and holding it all the way to the right.

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but it is a job that can be done by a non-mechanic. It requires a little patience but it is doable.
ok here is where i am at --- I was told the windows wont go up due to the microswitch built into the left transmission- the right one does not have the switch- they can bypass that switch for 350.00 to get the windows working again--- the pivot-boomarang is bent on the left side - and ball thing is broken- --- Ive replaced those before - Im pretty mechanically inclined and been a service advisor for almost 13 plus years- mostly at Ford and Now Subaru- plus Ive been known to put around in the garage working on my own cars- got a pretty awesome set of tools--- I mostly wanted to take it to Porsche to get the diag and go from there---- now my gears are turning---no pun intended--- Why does no one make these aftermarket?? why are they not serviceable?? and why so damn expensive?? --- so going to my guys at Pelican parts there is a gear company that makes and sells the drive gears for these things and actually have a tutorial to rebuild them ----- for a cost of 300.00 , sooooo I am goig to rebuild them--- my second thought is WHY NO ONE IS OFFERING A REBUILD SERVICE ON THESE !!!!! They can make bank and perform a service for the customer and save them money and make a little money .... anyway ... any other thought or advice or insight appreciated... I do think its worse than just the pushrods- transmissions but just think its weird both at one time
is that the pushrod is getting jammed before the transmission gets to that point. Fix the pushrods and it will all work fine. That's what I think.
thats what I thought- Ive dealt with this issue before, so when i saw the left pushrod broken i tried to worm it out of the way and close the top back and forth - then i got the convertible top control failure message - which is now gone but the limit message still there- i disconnected the right side push rods so everything moves freeley, the left side bommaranf ws bent and popped the lift off on that side, i removed the pivot from that side --- Porsche told me that the microswitch is in that left transmission and since its (the transmission) is damaged thats why the limit message is displayed. I know that they are guiding me the right direction - but does it really need BOTH transmissions?, who knows, Im a service advisor , so I know the game lol... but I was referred by co workers who know these guys- the manager and the advisor- 85.00 good guy pric for diag may be worth it ....I may go pick it up- jump the microswitch to fool it that the top is closed then order pivot and pushrods and the trns gears and rebuild them --- ill keep you informed--- as soon as I figure out how to upload pics her Ill put up some pics --- I tried but cant figure it out lol
Transmission
Boxsterra - 6 years ago
If I was absolutely sure that one of the transmissions was faulty I would take it apart and fix it. The transmssion gear is available for separate sale for about $100 if it comes to that. Replacing the whole transmission may be the most cost effective fix for the dealer since they're making $ on the part but it is not for you.
... especially with the older cars, just replace parts and don't even consider fixing anything.
They wouldn't know where to start or what to do if the computer didn't tell them.
If you're not mechanically inclined, take it to an independent shop where the owner is probably an older Porsche Tech who was trained on the older cars.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I think if this rebuilding the transmissions thing goes well on my car Im going to look into offering a service and doing it out of my house - either ship to me and I ship back then maybe get to on an exchange-core basis--- what do you guys think? is the business out there?? or too much liability --- smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login