Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
New noise...
MarcW - 6 years ago
From my 2002 Boxster. Best I can describe the noise is it sounds like a low volume "coke" bottle sound.

Only hear it with windows down at around 35mph in either 2nd or 3rd gear. Not affected by light application of brakes or by weaving side to side. I've heard it on several different stretches of road so I don't think it is road surface dependent. Tires are relatively new with at most 5K miles on them so don't think it is tire noise. Hear it with engine compartment fan running or not running. A/C was off and radiator fans were not running.

No CEL. Engine is running just fine.

In spite of the fact weaving doesn't seem to have any affect I'm going with wheel bearing. If I had to guess I'd say the right rear wheel bearing. I can't be sure -- that is I can't remember now -- but I think that is the one that was replaced at around 80K/90K miles way back in 2004 shortly after I returned to CA. At that time the worn tires masked the noise from the wheel bearing. After getting new tires fitted and on a road test I heard -- barely -- a noise and while I don't recall any details I don't believe it was a low volume coke bottle sound. Shop manager and I agreed it was a wheel bearing and both of us further agreed on its location and the manager went ahead and replaced that wheel bearing and the noise was gone.

I'm off Monday -- have to use some of my 225+ hours of accumulated vacation time (use it or lose it) -- so I will run by the dealer and hear what the SM and tech have to say after tell them the details.
Having been through a few lately, wheel bearings tend to be very subtle until they are very, very bad.

That said, they really *should* get much louder under load, meaning weaving. Admittedly this is clearer in the front than in the rear.

I assume you have eliminated anything in the induction system that is motor speed dependent.

Also look at the CV joints - they can make some odd, rhythmic noises - although when they begin to fail they emit the more characteristic "knocking" sound - but that's a pretty heavily damaged joint.

And yes, vacation is a scam. use it or lose it. But, oh, can you fly to Geneva and fix this? So sorry.

Happy 4th

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
Having been through a few lately, wheel bearings tend to be very subtle until they are very, very bad.

That said, they really *should* get much louder under load, meaning weaving. Admittedly this is clearer in the front than in the rear.

I assume you have eliminated anything in the induction system that is motor speed dependent.

Also look at the CV joints - they can make some odd, rhythmic noises - although when they begin to fail they emit the more characteristic "knocking" sound - but that's a pretty heavily damaged joint.

And yes, vacation is a scam. use it or lose it. But, oh, can you fly to Geneva and fix this? So sorry.

Happy 4th

Grant

It is vague because that's all there is. I may just have to let the condition develop until the source of the noise is easier to identify.

The car is cold after having sat all night so later this AM I'll go out for a test drive to see what if anything more I can learn before I swing by the dealer. Now that I'm drivng fewer miles -- just 10K miles a year (from April 2016 to April 2017) on the Boxster and about half that on the Turbo the dealer hardly ever sees me. (I did manage to attend the Le Mans viewing party a few weekends back. The turn out was very low. I asked and it seems the dealer switched to another email system and a large percentage of the email contacts got lost so the dealer was unable to contact the majority of its customers to offer an invitation. The year before the place was jammed with people.)

Happy 4th right back at you.
Bearings tend to be one of those - "I just know" noises. That said, it could be a bearing in the engine bay not the wheel bearing - given no change on steering.
There is little harm in waiting just a bit. The only other thing I can think of is wind noise- but that is typically more like a whistle.

Given the fact that you drive it so little and you dealer doesn't see you much, maybe someone with a high mileage car could help better.

What are you up to 3, 4 million miles? Didn't you have a counter next to your icon at one time?
In my experience, wheel bearings that require replacement will always be louder in a turn with lateral pressure on the bearing.... and usually in only one direction and not the other.... this goes for front or rear. This has always been the case for me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2017 09:13PM by Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S). (view changes)
A brother-in-law's car had bad wheel bearings and it was clear just going down the road the bearings were bad.

The only confirmed time my Boxster had a bad wheel bearing the noise was not changed when turning. It was with some uncertainty he replaced the rear wheel bearing we both felt was the culprit. Fortunately we guessed right.

I've made no progress in diagnosing the noise. In fact I've not really had a time since my first report when I really was sure I was hearing the noise. There are hints of noises but the tires and road combine to really produce a dare I say it a symphony of sounds. One minute I'm thinking I'm hearing "wheel bearing" or even "transmission/diff" noise the next it is just plain old tire/road noise.

All I can do I think is continue to drive the car and if what I'm hearing is a bad wheel bearing it will eventually make itself known.
Top down, high speed turn, car in neutral, engine at idle speed. Then it's just tires and wheel bearing.
very intermittent. I have not been able to reproduce it at will. If the noise was any more sporadic or intermittent I'd almost be willing to put it down to my imagination.

More recently when I have heard it I half think it is top wind noise or possibly tire noise.

On a noise related note, yesterday after coming back from lunch -- and with CEL on (P1128) -- as I was letting the engine idle waiting for the engine compartment fan and the radiator fans to shut off (it was a pretty hot day) I thought I heard a noise (faint, very faint, howl like noise) from the engine area. The A/C was off. I turned on the lights and the noise didn't change. I turned the steering wheel a bit thinking it might be power steering pump related and the noise wasn't affected by my turning the wheel although at some point during my exercising of the steering wheel the noise just stopped. However, I attribute this to coincidence.

I don't know what's going on. Ignoring the P1128 the engine/car has been behaving just fine. The engine starts and runs cold without any drama and runs just fine at all other times. Fuel economy is good -- improved a skosh after I replaced that filthy air filter -- and oil consumption is unchanged.

The engine still has no issues in the upper RPMs and in fact on getting onto the freeway the other day I hit the engine rev limiter in 2nd gear.

Based on the above, and a very faint irregular -- not in time with the engine speed -- knocking noise from my guess (or wish) the accessory drive area I'm thinking it is time to replace the accessory drive idlers and tensioner bearings. While the belt is reasonably new -- this gets replaced based on miles -- the idler/tensioner roller bearings are all original. I'm thinking next service I'll just have the tech replace the idlers/tensioner roller bearings.

As for the other noise... I guess I'll just have to see what if anything turns up.
Hi Marc,

I hope all is well.

I seem to recall someone saying that the coke bottle wind sound is possibly related to something in the evaporative emissions control system. I used to notice this sound from time to time--at slower speeds--on my '00 S. It seems like it originated from the passenger side (outside the car somewhere). I didn't do anything specific about it, and the sound eventually just disappeared. Not sure if this is helpful.

Kind regards, -Rick.
Rick J (Nashville, TN)
Hi Marc,

I hope all is well.

I seem to recall someone saying that the coke bottle wind sound is possibly related to something in the evaporative emissions control system. I used to notice this sound from time to time--at slower speeds--on my '00 S. It seems like it originated from the passenger side (outside the car somewhere). I didn't do anything specific about it, and the sound eventually just disappeared. Not sure if this is helpful.

Kind regards, -Rick.

I'm aware of in some cases a similar sounding noise can come from the evaporative control system. I have pretty much dismissed this as a cause but I don't recall how I arrived at this conclusion now.

But I appreciate the reminder and will keep it in mind as I go forward.

My investigation into this noise has been delayed. In getting into the car this AM for work I spotted the left front tire low. Managed to limp to the dealer and leave the car. Just so happens I parked the car with the nail head visible. Wouldn't you know the nail is too close to the sidewall for the tire to be repaired, not that the Porsche dealer service would repair it, but I could have the wheel/tire removed and then carry it a mile or so to the tire shop that fixes flat tires.

Anyhow, the (possibly) good news is the tires are relatively new and this flat tire might be covered by the new tire warranty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login