Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

PSA - Car won't start - Crank Position Sensor

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My Boxster is a 2000S with 64K miles. Over the past month or two occasionally the car would not fire. I'd wait a few minutes and then it would fire up. When it did not fire it turned over just fine but I would get nothing in the way of mis-firing or sputtering. I hooked up my Durametric and had a fault in the crank position sensor (code P0336 I believe). I removed the sensor and found a glob of goo right in the center of the tip. I cleaned it up and put a little contact cleaner in the plug connection and reinstalled. I also cleared the fault. For the past few weeks the car's starting has been faultless. Hope this info helps someone.
That is interesting information.

Any idea how a glob of goo would get on the sensor?
I imagine just wear and tear and it's near the clutch (I believe). The glob was not much bigger than a round pin head. I myself would hate to pay to replace that sensor when a quick wipe with a towel and it's good to go again. It is a bit of a chore to get at the sensor. Mark
Thanks Mark. It is good to know that it could be a "relatively" easy / inexpensive repair if you know what to look for.

We had the Crank Position Sensor cause stalling on our BMW while we were on a trip. It wasn't cheap to have it replaced at the dealer.
I don't thing the goo was the issue.
That part is a proximity sensor and should work fine even when covered in goo.
It probably had a loose or corroded connection so when you disconnected it, cleaned it and and reconnected it that's when you fixed it.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla 1998 Boxster 986 - 278,000+ miles: http://www.PedrosGarage.com
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"
"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I think the goo had a metallic component. The sensor is cylindrical with a flat circular surface on top. It is about 10mm across and I think the active area is about 2mm and in dead center. The blackish goo was a "ball" on only the center 2mm area only, the rest of the sensor was bright shiny and clean. However, I always use a contact cleaner on electrical connections, especially when I first unplug them. I do not like doing something twice so I take my time and do a little extra. My 2000 Box. S is a summer only car. The undercarriage has absolutely no corrosion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login