Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
AC Recharging
babamoto - 6 years ago
Hey, guys (and women if you are one):

Hope y'all are well.

QUESTION: Do you guys DIY the recharging of the air conditioners in your 986/7s or do you let a AC shop or dealer handle it? We're having record high temps in Southern California and I thought it might be a good idea to charge the AC.

Do these bottles of compressed refrigerant they sell at auto parts store work well? I drove the car for 12 years before the AC's once frigid output became just cool and afterwards I just drove with top or windows down. My wife requires top up and arctic AC or she will not ride in the Boxster, even though the personalized plates on it are emblazoned with her nickname. Picky, picky, picky....

Anyway, all feedback welcomed, and take care everyone.

babamoto

"I wanna drive Angeles Crest Highway to Newcombs Ranch"
You can recharge the A/C as a DIY project, but there are several things to keep in mind.
• If your system needs recharging, it means that the refrigerant leaked out. That needs to be addressed first.
• When recharging the system care must be taken to not overcharge. A pressure (low side) reading should be done to ensure that the pressure is what the manufacturer recommends.
• The refrigerant in the A/C system is mixed with oil in order to lubricate the compressor. If you just recharge gas when the system is also low in oil, it could damage the compressor.
So, why not have a pro take a look at it?
They can safely and legally evacuate the system and do a vacuum test to ensure that there are no leaks and to fix them if found. They can then refill the system with the correct amounts of oil/gas.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro:
So it's risky, eh? Okay, guess I should look around for estimates and get it done by a professional.
Thanks for the advice. Stay well.

babamoto
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login