Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hello all, and a big hello to you Pedro. I'm still around, and still have my 06 987S. With 146k miles it is finally broken in. It still makes me smile every time I fire it up and hear that glorious flat 6. It's most definitely still a joy to take to nearby hills and twisties for a good flogging. Sadly it also shows the wounds of a car that was a daily driver in a major urban environment, and It picked up another war wound today from a wayward F250.

So with retirement approaching I have been pondering a nice "gift" for myself to celebrate making it out. The original plan was to order a GTS, that plan went away with the 718. I've been monitoring the Porsche preowned site for a CPO GTS but haven't had success as of yet and now the manual GTS, sorry as nice as PDK is only a proper manual will do, are becoming quite rare. I've driven the new 718S and as nice as it drives, I''m still not "sold" on the sound and have questions about long term durability of the new turbo when driven in a proper "Porsche" manner. That said I really would like to do the European delivery program and have the chance to drive "my" Boxster on the Autobahn and Ring.

I've driven the new ND Miata and it's not bad but...I didn't like the body lean and the fact Mazda NA won't let you get a GT model with the shock tower brace and Brembo package. I also would like to see a better color palette. However IMHO it is a screaming bargain for what you get and with the insane MPG it gets, it would probably make a good daily driver.

So, the big question I'm pondering is whether to "settle" for a 718S with European delivery or do a full restore of my beloved 987S and pick up a ND Miata for daily chores. Decisions decisions, how many fun cars does one need?

Paralizer 06 Boxster S Atlas Grey/Black/Black

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 08:06PM by Paralizer. (view changes)
No doubt what I would do. Restore the 987S and get the Miata as a daily driver.

I have a 2004 986S for fun and a Mercedes CLK 350 convertible as a daily driver. A great combination.
with retirement close. My full retirement age will be my next birthday but I was hoping to continue working a while longer.

I toy with the idea of buying something Porsche, something new, but both of my cars are running pretty darn good. There is little resale/trade in value in either car so anything I buy would have to come out of my bank account.

The other thing that concerns is I bought a new 2008 Cayman S in early April 2009. One month later it was a smashed automobile after being t-boned by another car.

Then on July 3rd in my "new" (used) 996 Turbo (which I had just bought on June 19) it was also a smashed automobile after being involved with a mule deer.

(The Boxster has been hit now several times, every time while stopped at a light. So far thankfully the damage has been confined to bumper covers, tail light and headlight.)

My thinking is while having either one of my cars involved in any kind of an accident is something I would not enjoy to have a special new "retirement" Porsche smashed is just not something I care to risk right now or even in the future.

The roads are getting downright crazy with distracted drivers. On the way to the office in the morning or on the way home at night I often don't get but a few blocks when I have a close call from someone not paying attention. Even if it doesn't happen close to the house or the office I never make it the 30 miles without at least one close call. I sometimes feel I'm the only driver on the road paying attention to driving.

I think if I could get over the above I could be tempted to buy a new Cayman. I've not driven a base or S of the new 718 model so I say that with no real exposure to the cars. However, being a Porsche I suspect they don't suck.
aloha marc!

MarcW
with retirement close. My full retirement age will be my next birthday but I was hoping to continue working a while longer.

I toy with the idea of buying something Porsche, something new, but both of my cars are running pretty darn good. There is little resale/trade in value in either car so anything I buy would have to come out of my bank account.

The other thing that concerns is I bought a new 2008 Cayman S in early April 2009. One month later it was a smashed automobile after being t-boned by another car.

Then on July 3rd in my "new" (used) 996 Turbo (which I had just bought on June 19) it was also a smashed automobile after being involved with a mule deer.

(The Boxster has been hit now several times, every time while stopped at a light. So far thankfully the damage has been confined to bumper covers, tail light and headlight.)

My thinking is while having either one of my cars involved in any kind of an accident is something I would not enjoy to have a special new "retirement" Porsche smashed is just not something I care to risk right now or even in the future.

The roads are getting downright crazy with distracted drivers. On the way to the office in the morning or on the way home at night I often don't get but a few blocks when I have a close call from someone not paying attention. Even if it doesn't happen close to the house or the office I never make it the 30 miles without at least one close call. I sometimes feel I'm the only driver on the road paying attention to driving.

I think if I could get over the above I could be tempted to buy a new Cayman. I've not driven a base or S of the new 718 model so I say that with no real exposure to the cars. However, being a Porsche I suspect they don't suck.
aloha right back at you.

Regarding the 718 maybe you'll find this link and the PDF at it of some interest...

[www.ebsracing.com]
aloha para!

tough choice
but i'd have to say that euro delivery one of those "once in a lifetime" dreams of a p-car owner

but i hear you on the turbo issue

aloha

steve
that you already know the answer to your own question. And, really, yours is the only opinion that counts since it's your money and your experience.

I think if you're going into something with the idea that you're just "settling" for an option, you're not going to enjoy it 100%. Every time you get into it, you'll be thinking "I wish I would have ....."

Obviously, your first choice seems to be a GTS with that NA flat six. If you can't make that happen, although it's not YOUR car, you could always rent a Porsche and have the Autobahn experience and take a trip up to the Ring. That way, after you get back home, you won't have to be without a Porsche for 6 - 7 weeks until you car is shipped and delivered to a local dealer.

That would leave you with your 987S. Look at how long Pedro has driven his 986 and Marc with over 300K miles on his 986. Your 987S still has the potential for a LOT of smiles. If it's got some work to be done, find a really good body shop. They can have it looking like brand new again.

Happy decision making and all the best with your upcoming retirement.
I agree with the rental option. I see tour packages all the time of Germany/Austria with rented Porsches. Opt for a 718 for a week on roads it was designed to tackle. Then you can decide after "living with it" for a week, would you still feel as though you were "settling" by buying one down the road. Just like moving to a completely new city upon retirement, never buy right away, rent for 6 months to a year to decide if it is truly what you desire. Or, do the Euro delivery on a new Targa S. Different beast all together, though. Not as cozy as the Boxster's two-seat configuration, and bigger and heavier feeling. But still, a sweet ride.
It's good yo hear from you.
Your dilema is a good one.
As it's been said you need to make the decision that best works for you.
Regarding the GTS all you have to have is patience.
Look in Southern CA and Southern FL, the two largest Porsche markets in the world and you will find what you're looking for.
Now, my personal solution would be:
Keep the 987 as the daily driver and find the GTS or better yet a 3.8L Spyder!
After you retire you'll have so much time on your hands that you have to organize another West Coast BoxsterFest winking smiley
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Hey Larry!
Paralizer - 6 years ago
Hi Pedro. Yes lots of things to ponder. I think my first choice would be a nice GTS but while there are plenty of PDK's the manuals are getting rare, but I'll keep looking. In the mean time I'll probably put some $$$ into my 987. As for another Boxsterfest, I'm not sure. The real brains of that endeavor is no longer in the picture. In the mean time 6 more months of work and then I push the eject button. With all the travels I have in mind maybe I can make it down your way and buy you a beer.

and decided that the cars i had, i liked. So i poured some money into them. If all goes according to plan, its much less money than a new car, bad both of my older 986 platform cars (plus C5 audi) have much more direct feel than their modern replacements, and fewer things to second guess me.

Yet the new cars are really, really nice. I have less of a disdain for the sound of the new cars. Its way different, but still a nice sound, and with 7-8 speeds and tons of torque, their performance is just plain superior.

As to durability, i'd wager any 9A1 or turbo motor is significantly better than any M96 or M97. They were dicey across many design choices, let's leave it there. I wonder too - they are smaller and more highly stressed, but sister VW/Audi have had few problems with 2.0L turbos pumping out 300 hp. The question is "do you like how they drive"?

I don't think there's a "wrong" answer - just the one that fits your wants. They are not needs, just wants.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
You just touched on my biggest long term concern, the dreaded M96 motor. Granted my car was built after the "upgraded" bearing was being installed, but still there's always that concern about putting lots of money into a car only to have the motor grenade shortly thereafter. Again, decisions decisions...No matter what the final decision becomes my current 987 has been a complete joy. I've gotten lots of smiles from all the miles and I've met some AWESOME folks along the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2017 05:56PM by Paralizer. (view changes)
and have not missed the BS factor at work one bit. I picked up a new 2016 Boxster GTS in November 2015, mostly in anticipation of the end of the flat 6 in the Boxster, and to a lesser degree my time closing in on retirement. The car is very analog with a 6 speed manual and sport suspension. I gotta tell ya, the 981 GTS is an awesome platform. I took a look at AutoTrader in mid 2016 and there were a number of Boxster GTS' for sale, both new and pre-owned. Keep looking and I bet some will start to turn up on the resale market later this year as people with 2 year leases turn the cars in (however I am going to keep mine for a very long time!).

I think you should be able to keep your 987 running fine. If you change the oil every 5K or less and keep a careful watch on the oil filter for IMS residue, you should be able to prevent the engine from grenading. That is what I did with my 2002 986S.
I'm reading CL and come across this P-car gem which I'm sure will not rival Marc's for longevity.

A mere $500k new discounted to $260k with 17 more hours until the engine has to go back to the factor for a rebuild. Ah but the transmission has a mere hour on it.

Read it and appreciate the reliability of the car you have.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login