Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Coming home from a day of golfing, a massive amount of smoke starts coming out my exhaust. I pulled over when I could after about 30 seconds of driving with this condition. Called AAA and had flatbed tow to my local porsche indy. Hopefully no engine damage. .

BarryL
You would have known if there was engine damage, Loud and expensive noises from the engine.
Shouldnt be....
grant - 6 years ago
Unless you move HUGE volumes of oil and hydro-lock. But you would be amazed how much smoke a tiny volume of oil can generate.

I've always noticed failure much earlier, on track, when even an early failure results in an occasional burst or smoke, then more or less goes away.
(typically on a very hard turn)

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
and all 3 times the engine has smoked something fierce. That smoking appears to be the end stage failure of the AOS. It is important to note that when the smoking becomes constant it is time to shut off the engine and avoid even starting the engine.

Might mention that with the 1st AOS I had the car flat bedded to the dealer -- the SM I spoke with over the phone specifically cautioned me *against* driving the car the 40+ miles to the dealer -- and I took his caution seriously but for some reason the tech decided the engine needed a compression test and during this the engine did suffer a lock up. Fortunately it didn't suffer any damage. Not sure how this happened as with a compression test all plugs should be removed but maybe the cylinder with the compression gage attached locked up?

Anyhow, the 2nd time the AOS failed and I had the car flat bedded back to it just so happened the same dealer -- this time from around 90 miles away -- when I dropped the car off I left several pieces of paper in the car with "DO NOT START ENGINE!" written in big letters.

In the case of your Boxster the engine will be fine after a new AOS is fitted. Depending upon how severe the AOS failed, how much oil it routed to the engine, the engine may smoke upon start up a time or two after you get the car back if you don't put some miles on the car -- the SM told me -- this the 1st AOS failure -- it can take sometimes around 50 miles of driving to have all the oil -- mainly in the intake -- gone.

But the oil will burn out of the chambers and off the sensors and out of the exhaust pretty quick.

If you can run Chevron Supreme (with Techron) gasoline a tank or two now that would help "clean" the engine.

If Chevron gasoline is not available where you are you could even use a bottle of Techron -- use according to directions on the bottle which is pretty much just shake the bottle then dump its contents into the gas tank then fill up with whatever premium gasoline you normally run and drive the car as you normally do. The engine could benefit from this even if it hadn't just suffered an AOS failure. If you use Techron it is best if you change the oil/filter afterwards.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login