Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I'm trying to figure out what kind of cable or fitting i need to screw into the slave. Metric, but what thread size? What flare if any?

The best answer is if anyone has found that, for example, regular brake lines or hoses work....

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Since apparently no one here knows, and this could be a great time and knuclkes saver, here's what i learned:

Thread on slave is M10 / 1.5.

This means a brake hose (flexible, connects caliper to chassis) will work, if it is male (to slave) and female (at other end, to accept bleeder).

I plan to try

Grant

Grant

It sounds like you will have the normal "line in"

You then propose to install a flexible "line out" which will hang lower and clearer - thus allowing you the bleed from the far end - and hence remotely.
THAT is something I never once considered. I have hung in awkward positions to get in there to bleed. I always found a way - like the third time of the day -- Thanks TSBL. Of course I forget for the next time.

ARe you going to remove the remote line after bleeding? Doesn't that add air to the system? If you are going to leave it hanging - is that safe? Assuming that the line is closed and pressurized, wouldn't it be tensioned by the high pressure fluid? I would doubt it would remain just hanging there. What would it interfere with?

This sounds interesting as a concept, but I would really like to think this through.
Again, screw a lien into the hole the bleeder nipple normally resides in. Now screw the bleeder into the other end of that hose.

Its just a line. As long as it is tight, and secured, it should simply extend the bleeder to where i can easily reach it.

Why would it move?

A factory brake line is designed for much higher pressure.

Grant

Grant

If you put high pressure into that line, I am not sure it would remain "flaccid." I am thinking that if the line were highly pressurized it would become "erect."

Yes, it is a metaphor and I do not intend to be crude. But the point, I think is valid. The loose end would need to be anchored as well or the line would likely move due to being pressurized.
It looks like the Kit above has a mount which will prevent such movement.

I continue my original comment. Make sure you think this through. I do not know if the pressure is high enough or whatever. But think it though and test before going on the track or whatever.
had the chance to speak to a few Porsche techs at WGI this weekend - aside form the above that we're all scratching our heads over, no show stoppers. Apparently common on race cars.

G

Grant

Here is a ready kit you can buy.
kit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2017 04:39PM by carlos in Montreal. (view changes)
thanks anyway, i'll call

One drawback, that's $150 vs $15 if my brake line idea works...

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2017 06:04PM by grant. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login