Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have a 2014 Boxster S, PDK with Sport Crono option. In the last month twice when I put the car into Sport mode the PDK continued to operate in normal mode.
It would upshift etc. in the normal mode all the way to 7th at low speeds instead of holding at 6th. After 5-10 minutes of driving the car returned to operating in sport mode I think.
This is new behavior for car ( just under 9000 miles on car ). Any ideas what could be going on?
JoeU ontheriver in VA
I have a 2014 Boxster S, PDK with Sport Crono option. In the last month twice when I put the car into Sport mode the PDK continued to operate in normal mode.
It would upshift etc. in the normal mode all the way to 7th at low speeds instead of holding at 6th. After 5-10 minutes of driving the car returned to operating in sport mode I think.
This is new behavior for car ( just under 9000 miles on car ). Any ideas what could be going on?

Any chance Sport Mode was denied because the PDK was cold?

Have to point out the car has just 9K miles is thus still quite "new". Could be a problem with the PDK. The car is under warranty. Worth a stop at the dealer to run this behavior by a tech and get his input. He's probably seen this before. Also, if there is a problem I bet the PDK controller has logged an error code.

In the meantime, I found this. (See link below.) I have no PDK experience and reading through it didn't provide any insight into what you described but maybe you'll spot something?

[www.porscheownersmanuals.com]
I have the Durametric Cable and software for the car - the PDK controller has not logged any faults; I checked all of the controllers - no faults logged
obtaining any and all codes the Porsche diagnostic system is capable of then there were no codes logged.

This suggests some kind of a software "glitch". If this is the case the next time it happens try turning off the car for a bit. Unfortunately you don't know how long the car (ignition key) has to be off for the affected controller to experience a full power down. While my 2002 Boxster's electronics power down right away when the key is turned off my 2003 Turbo's DME continues to run for some minutes (at least 3) afterwards. Once in a great while the radio gets in a goofy state that while it appears to work -- all the controls work -- no sound comes out. To "correct" this a power down is required (or a fuse pulling which accomplishes the same thing but I don't feel like pulling a fuse) and a brief switch off the ignition is not sufficient. The ignition switch has to be off minutes and sometimes it is not convenient for me to turn the car off this long so I drive with the radio "dead".

The car is under warranty. I'd still recommend you visit the dealer and report the behavior. You might want to keep the fact you queried the system already with a Durametric and found nothing to yourself. Not that what you did was wrong.

If it comes to this let the Porsche tech do his own investigation and see what he comes up with. If it is a software glitch there may be a controller firmware update available which addresses this behavior.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login