Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hi all
Bob O - 6 years ago
I haven't posted in quite a while, but have been following the site since, well,,since it's inception. Until last Aug I had a 2001 base Boxster, black with MO30 suspenion, 7 & 15 mm spacers, and a few Pedro tweaks to the engine and suspension. It was a great track car for DE's and an all around wonderful everyday piece. Unfortunately it started making sounds from the engine which my mechanic diagnosed sticky lifters or valves or some such ugliness, potentially fatal or very expensive to fix. (granted, he didn't crack the engine but I do trust him). Whether that was the correct diagnosis or not, I decided to sell it. I had 105K on it at the time of sale and the buyer got a great deal considering he got four extra tires, three or four sets of track brake pads, the original suspension pieces (which only had 20K on them) and other odds and ends for $10K. Body was nearly perfect....well...it did have a replacement front end resulting from a Dodge RAM (appropriated named) literally running over me in a parking lot. Its a long story!!! lol. The body shop did a great job with the repair and fortunately the other driver actually had insurance!!!

SO...I went shopping. Autotrader, cars.com, ebay, Panorama, etc etc. Oddly enough, after a few months of looking, I ended up getting the very first one I highlighted in my search. 2014 Boxster S, certified, PDK, Sport Chrono, Anthricite brown (which I, and my mechanic, had never seen in person before), Luxor Beige interior, 20" Carrera S wheels, heated steering wheel, seat ventilation, Bi-Xenon, Multi function steering wheel, Power Sport Seats, Premium Package, Infotainment Package with Bose. AND...it only had 9,000 miles on it. No PASM (damm) but I couldn't find one that fit my criteria that had it, THank you previous owner for saving it for me!! The original sticker was...ready for this...80,300!!!!! Holy cow! I really do appreciate you taking that 25K depreciation hit for me! Thank you. I had the front end clear wrapped including headlights and mirrors and was still under 60K for what is almost a brand new Boxster S! And, with the certification, it's under full factory warranty til 2020.

I've taken it to the track once since I bought it. The PDK is amazing. Sport plus mode is a monster. Redline upshifts, which throw you back in the seat. It down-shifted more than once in the middle of a corner on day one when I was getting up to speed (so to speak) without a hint of tail wag. It was a seamless shift...omg. The OEM brakes were without complaint...no fading at all during two days and great modulation. Now for the bad part. The tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 (N0). Around town they are great...compliant, plenty of grip in normal driving, very quiet, really good in the rain. And they SUCK at the track. It could be my suspension, ( I do want that PASM) but I'm doubting it. Previously I could take the carousel at Heartland Park at least 10-15 mph faster in my 01 that I can get out of it now, without it wanting to swap ends. I'm not happy. (Neither was that Cayman on my tail ) Replacements are in the near future before the September DE back at Heartland. I'm considering Bridgestone (which I've had on both the Boxster and the 911 and I loved them). But something will soon replace the Goodyears. Enough of that.

Anyway, I thought I'd just check in and say HI to all. I'll be taking it to Boxstoberfest in Freidricksburg, TX in Sept so maybe i'll see some of you there.

BTW...I STILL haven't completely figured out the Porsche Communication Management system. It's wayyyyyyy too complicated. Granted, there are hundreds of settings and options to take into account but they aren't necessarily intuitive. The dealer spent over an hour going over the main functions when I picked it up, but since that was my first time seeing it, most of that instruction was lost by the time I got home two days later. (purchased in NY and drove it home to KC) LOL...oh well. It gives me something to read at night.

Have fun, Drive safe.

Bob

PS. I've tried to post pictures but for some reason I get an error. tiny pic isn't liking my files for some reason. I'll try again later with another computer.
[www.tirerack.com]

Not cheap, but very sticky. The Conti Extreme Sport are less expensive but don't have the same dry stick.

Not that I'm biased but you got a great car. They do sell a X73 suspension kit which I'd recommend for track duty==IIRC, suncoast sells it for about $1400(struts/springs and sway bars)
Thanks Mike. I am looking at the Michelin's too. And YES...I did see that X73 suspension option at Suncoast. VERY tempting to say the least. Price is up to $1,550 now but still not bad considering what it consists of.

Hey Grant. Thanks for the info I've run the Bridgestone RE71s before and thought they were excellent all around tires. I think that's what was on the old Box the last time it was at the track. I haven't looked at Michelin Super sports yet. It's hard to find the right compromise for both street and track. And i'm not up for getting another set of wheels and tires just for track use...at least I haven't been so far. smiling smiley Some dedicated R compounds would be great, but..I don't think I want to spend the outrageous amounts they want for 20" Rs!!! So, if I did it, I'd drop to 19s at a minimum. Oh well...something to think about.

Thanks for the welcome back.

Bob
Bob, I thought I'd chime in on the X73 suspension. When I was in the configuration mode of ordering my 2014 981 S, MikenOH had suggested I order that. I decided to order the car with the X73 and every time I get out into the twisties, I think about Mike and say a little thanks. It really makes the car handle like it's on rails.
I thoroughly enjoyed the Mo30 suspension upgrade I put on my 01 (which, from looking at it, appears to be the same thing as the X73 for the 981...shocks, springs and sway bar). You guys are persuading me to jump for the X73, smiling smiley For the price it's almost a no brainer. (other than the cost to install) . Decisions, decisions. Heck, that price is even below the threshold of needing a written ok from my wife! LOL.

Guenter: How much stiffer is the ride with this suspension? Or do you have the experience with both to be able to tell?

Thanks

Bob
Consider just installing X73 sway bars. 80% of the benefit for 20% of the cost.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
hmmmmm I hadn't thought of that. hmmmmm.
I haven't really driven a 981 S with stock suspension and X73 suspension back to back. I did drive my 987 with stock suspension and my 981 S with X73 back to back and the compliance on rougher road surfaces was about the same for both. I was amazed at the advancements Porsche made in the chassis of the 981. Because the X73 lowers the body by 20mm, you do have to be more careful entering driveways, angled dips and speed bumps in the road.

Even my wife finds the ride on road trips quite comfortable.
Guenter in Ontario

Even my wife finds the ride on road trips quite comfortable.

LOL....

LOL....the beleaguered woman probably tells you your a wonderful driver also. winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
There are some decent track day/street tires out there that provide grip and the steering response you want, but in 20" sizes they are hard to find, expensive and heavy.
If you are serious about doing a number of track days I'd suggest moving to a second set of rims (18" or 19") and go with some like the RE-11 or RE 71. You can drive them to the track and on the track and are good in the rain. The RE71 comes in stock 981 sizes in 18" (235/265-45-18) keeping the same OD. I know a few guys driving on 18" RE-11s and they swear by them for traction and longevity.
I've got NT01s on my 987BS track rims and they are great, save if you get caught in the rain on the way home. My next set will be either RE-71 or the Firestone Indy 500.
BTW, I've seen used 987 18" rims for as little as $600; they have offsets that are very close to the 981 18" wheels.
I've also heard less good things about the F1s, yet I have trouble believing they are so bad that you are running 15 mph slower in turns....but it matters not, lots of people don't like them on track at least.

I run Bridgestone RE71-Rs as my street tires on my autocross car. They are quiet, smooth (enough) riding, and as you know, stick like glue. OK is water, though not idea in heavy rain/standing water (as I foudn out in a flash storm coming down rte 16 from the Glen...turned out fine)

I have Michelin SuperSports on my Audi. Also terrific, albeit a bit soft sidewall. They get consistently amazing reviews.

And at a price, I continue to like BFG g-force sport comp-2s, which i use as my "rain" tire on the track, and my street tire on the track car.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I have F1's on my '03 S and for normal touring they are the quietest and smoothest tires I have ever had. Grippy in dry & rain and wear very evenly but they are definitely not track tires.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login