Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
It is not often one gets to look across a span of time and pull together a series of thoughts on one product category. We thought those who live in an environment without a covered spot for their Boxster may benefit from our experiences with 4 different Boxster covers:
[rainydaymagazine.com]

Less relevant for those fortunate enough to have access to a garage :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 02:43PM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
But one boxster!
grant - 6 years ago
I'm curious - why do you cover it so much? Is this winter hibernation, or do you feel it generally protects the paint and interior on a regular basis?

I'm a bit lazy

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
The car is driven all year long and in all kinds of weather.

It is covered whenever it is in the driveway because there are three large cottonwood trees right above it with all the birds, bugs, and leaf-related issues one normally associate with such close proximity to nature :-) And you are correct, having had the car covered whenever possible, the leather on the dash and the finish of the car are both remarkably well-preserved after 16 years.

It only takes about 20 seconds to put the cover on... so why not?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2017 03:40PM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
My wife has claimed the parking spot left available in our garage (after all my tools) because she doesn't like to get in a hot car. So my poor boxster has to sit outside. The neighbors probably think I'm nuts for using a car cover, but there are times when it's very helpful. The oak pollen season is the number one reason for a car cover. The oak pollen will turn your car a yellowish/green color very fast. And then it gets stuck in every crevice. A car cover goes a long way to keep it cleaner.

My recommendation is a very light, water proof cover that slides on and off quickly and doesn't take a lot of room in the trunk. When it rains I hang it to dry on a pull-up bar (oh, that's what those are for!) in the garage.
And put it in the frunk when dry. When wet, hung it in the garage. Inch of ice, 10 inches of snow, driving rain; no sweat and never an issue with even condensation underneath once the cover was off . One man operation to put it on and off and I never considered it a real hassle. Even used it for weeks at a time with the battery maintainer stuck in the front passenger seat. Never used the locking cable that came with it and never had any issues with wind. It was as good as new after 5 years of use. Still flexible and unstained; elastic still good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login