Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I know there are a lot of posts about the problematic ignition switch. Unfortunately, I have not found one that addresses my particular issue. My switch started acting up about a week ago. The key was difficult to turn and when fully turned clockwise to start the car it seemed to stick there. Car was running but no lights nor wipers. So I had to turn the key very, very slightly counterclockwise and all was fine. But clearly something was up. After a couple of days, the car electronics wouldn't completely shut down when I turned the key to off (position 0). The engine stopped but the radio stayed on. When I removed the key (with a little jiggling to free it) and opened the door, the dash warned me the they key was still in the ignition.

So I bought a replacement switch for less than $15.

Today I replaced it (after struggling to loosen the two screws). Now the key goes in smoothly. It turns very smoothy too and all accessories come on. Everything seems to be perfect except for one thing....the car won't start. Nothing. No cranking whatsoever.

It is possible the switch is faulty? Is it possible that the clutch interlock switch is faulty? It seems very unlikely that the clutch switch would fail right after I replace the ignition switch.

Has anyone replace the ignition switch and immediately after replacement your Porsche wouldn't start?

I followed the instructions exactly as Pedro detailed. Other sites say to disconnect the battery, put the key in and ensure it's in the 0 position. Remove the old switch, put the key back in and ensure it's in the 0 position and then finally plug in the new switch. I didn't do any of those things.

But now I'm stuck with a nicely turning ignition switch that does not start my car. Please help. Thanks. John
johnstof
I know there are a lot of posts about the problematic ignition switch. Unfortunately, I have not found one that addresses my particular issue. My switch started acting up about a week ago. The key was difficult to turn and when fully turned clockwise to start the car it seemed to stick there. Car was running but no lights nor wipers. So I had to turn the key very, very slightly counterclockwise and all was fine. But clearly something was up. After a couple of days, the car electronics wouldn't completely shut down when I turned the key to off (position 0). The engine stopped but the radio stayed on. When I removed the key (with a little jiggling to free it) and opened the door, the dash warned me the they key was still in the ignition.

So I bought a replacement switch for less than $15.

Today I replaced it (after struggling to loosen the two screws). Now the key goes in smoothly. It turns very smoothy too and all accessories come on. Everything seems to be perfect except for one thing....the car won't start. Nothing. No cranking whatsoever.

It is possible the switch is faulty? Is it possible that the clutch interlock switch is faulty? It seems very unlikely that the clutch switch would fail right after I replace the ignition switch.

Has anyone replace the ignition switch and immediately after replacement your Porsche wouldn't start?

I followed the instructions exactly as Pedro detailed. Other sites say to disconnect the battery, put the key in and ensure it's in the 0 position. Remove the old switch, put the key back in and ensure it's in the 0 position and then finally plug in the new switch. I didn't do any of those things.

But now I'm stuck with a nicely turning ignition switch that does not start my car. Please help. Thanks. John

Could be the new switch is faulty. Could you have gotten the wrong switch? Connected it wrong? Do all the dash lights come on normally when you turn the key to the on position? Do all the electrical systems appear to work ok with the key on?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while then reconnecting the battery? Kind of a big red switch thing...

I agree unlikely the clutch interlock switch went bad but it is a a bit vulnerable. Did you bump it or do something to possibly mess up the alignment and the clutch pedal arm is no longer depressing the interlock switch plunger enough to close the switch? The switch is not that expensive so you could if you wanted to just replace it. But still if the switch is not aligned properly with the clutch pedal arm the new switch won't work right either.

There is also the possibility the RF antenna that is behind the key surround got damaged/disconnected during the switch replacement and when the key is turned the RF signal is not broadcast to the key and its RFID pill. If the pill doesn't receive this RF signal it can't respond with its RFID and the security system will not allow the engine to crank.
MarcW
There is also the possibility the RF antenna that is behind the key surround got damaged/disconnected during the switch replacement and when the key is turned the RF signal is not broadcast to the key and its RFID pill. If the pill doesn't receive this RF signal it can't respond with its RFID and the security system will not allow the engine to crank.

this was one of my first thoughts as well but i experimented with my MY2000 S by taking out the "pill" from the key to see what happened. IIRC, the instrument cluster lit up but there were absolutely none of the sounds from engine compartment, e.g. buzzes, whirrs and clicks, that usually happen during normal operations. of course, the engine would not crank either.

johnstof, are you getting any noises at all when you insert and turn the key? if not, then it could well be the anti-theft. if yes, then i don't think it is.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
There are Chinese counterfeits for many parts these days.
... that the immobilizer RFID sensor for the key's "pill" got disconnected and the ECU won't allow the car to start.
This sensor is mounted on the ignition "pistol" and has a 2 wire connector.
Just to be sure bypass the clutch microswitch by jumpering it. It could have gotten disconnected if you struggled in the footwell to undo the two set crews.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login