Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Time for the Boxster's 315K mile oil/filter service. Brake wear warning light has been coming on now every once in a while for a while. Dropped the car off this AM and asked the brakes be done. The front brakes. These were done at around 276K miles -- SM looked it up for me on the service department computer -- so that works out to around 51K miles of brake life.

For the oil/filter service the SM told me the tech went to order Mobil 5w-50 oil (not a typo for 15w-50) and found this oil is now stocked there at the dealer. Seems the demand for this oil has climbed and the dealer parts department now stocks it rather than ordering on an as needed basis.

Brake and clutch fluid were flushed and bled. Brakes get done Thursday and the car should be ready to pick up Friday AM.

Car was on the lift and checked out the underneath of the car. No leaks. Tires look good and are wearing evenly. Rear brakes -- done recently -- don't even have a rotor lip yet.

Suspension joints look solid still. SM said the clutch pedal felt a bit "harsh" but he has not driven the car since the brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed was done. I'll get the tech's opinion after he drives the car after he finishes the brakes.

Averaging around 10K miles per year on the Boxster now so services are coming due less frequently.
Nice report, Marc
MikenOH - 6 years ago
MarcW
Time for the Boxster's 315K mile oil/filter service. Brake wear warning light has been coming on now every once in a while for a while. Dropped the car off this AM and asked the brakes be done. The front brakes. These were done at around 276K miles -- SM looked it up for me on the service department computer -- so that works out to around 51K miles of brake life.

For the oil/filter service the SM told me the tech went to order Mobil 5w-50 oil (not a typo for 15w-50) and found this oil is now stocked there at the dealer. Seems the demand for this oil has climbed and the dealer parts department now stocks it rather than ordering on an as needed basis.

Brake and clutch fluid were flushed and bled. Brakes get done Thursday and the car should be ready to pick up Friday AM.

Car was on the lift and checked out the underneath of the car. No leaks. Tires look good and are wearing evenly. Rear brakes -- done recently -- don't even have a rotor lip yet.

Suspension joints look solid still. SM said the clutch pedal felt a bit "harsh" but he has not driven the car since the brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed was done. I'll get the tech's opinion after he drives the car after he finishes the brakes.

Averaging around 10K miles per year on the Boxster now so services are coming due less frequently.

When ever people ask me whether the Boxster is a car you can keep for a long time, enjoy and not end up in the "poor house", I reference your experience.
My Boxster has been the best car ever and honestly everything I thought it would be given the name Porsche on the car.

The car is still a very good car and gives every indication -- f/x -- of running forever.

Believe it or not I still get a thrill every time I get in the car. Even though I'm using the Turbo for my work commute while the Boxster is in the shop I look forward to getting the Boxster back and using it 5 days out of 7.
Picked up the car Friday morning before work.

Had the car in for new front brakes. Brake and clutch fluid flush and bleed. Oil/filter service. New cabin air filter. Tech said the cabin filter really needed changing. I bet. The engine air filter was full of trash and the pleats of filter paper full of mostly black dust, rubber dust would be my guess. (Due to the superior aerodynamics the rear most surfaces of my Turbo accumulate a thin layer of black dust.)

Tech said the car checked out ok. No leak sign. Suspension still taut. Tires are looking good with plenty of tread and no signs of abnormal wear. He reports the engine and transmission feel just fine. I got a chance to look the underside of the car over the other day and it does look nice for an underside of a car with that many miles on it.

Could be my imagination but I think the techs are keeping a close eye on the car in case I trade it in, with one of them hoping to snap it up for a very low price.

As has been my experience/observation now over a number (I dare not tally the number...) of oil/filter services the engine's quieter with fresh oil. Amazing how "thin" the oil gets after just 5K miles of engine run time.

I don't remember when the brake/clutch fluid was last done but like the last time after I noticed an improvement in the clutch action. This time the improvement is not as dramatic as before but it is real. Before this latest flush/bleed once in a while as I would let up on the pedal it felt like pedal would come up non-linearly like there was a bubble in the system. It didn't happen that often and every time it did happen it caught me by surprise.Any abnormal behavior is so out of character it always catches me by surprise. But with the around town errand running I gave the car today it would have happened by now had it been going to happen. With the clutch pedal very linear again the engagement is buttery smooth. The clutch takes so little slippage to get the car moving from a dead stop I may never have to replace the Boxster's clutch!

The slight off odor when first turning on the A/C is gone too. That's due to the new cabin air filter. The presence of the odor is the way I tell when it is time to change the cabin filter. But I have let it go longer than usual just too busy to do it.

After picking up the car and on the way home from the dealer did a brake bedding in then drove around the neighborhood to let the brakes cool then parked the car and drove my other car. After servicing a car I like to drive it a bit, give it a shake down as it were, before putting it right back into commute duty. I don't want a break down in commute traffic or be stranded at work when I get off late in the evening.

Speaking of a shake down earlier today I used the car for errands (grocery run and then a lunch run later in the day) and will use if for any errands I run Sunday as well. Assuming all is well and I expect it will be come Monday the Boxster gets put back into commuter duty. Three days out of 5 or approx. 180 miles per week Actually a bit more than that, closer to 200 miles a week or just around 10K miles per year.

Been checking left over 718 stock and new 718 stock and there are some nice cars available and prices are softening, but darn it the Boxster is still such a nice drive I can't justify replacing it.
The Penske dealership near Cleveland sent out an email about "big" discounts on 2017 models, one of which was a Cayman S model.
Gorgeous car--white/grey or blue interior, 20" wheels, PDK and a lot of other stuff with a sticker of $88k knocked down to $84K. Not exactly blowing them out the door, as they say.
As nice as the 718 CS is supposed to be, $80K+ for a 1 year old model seems pretty dear.
MikenOH
The Penske dealership near Cleveland sent out an email about "big" discounts on 2017 models, one of which was a Cayman S model.
Gorgeous car--white/grey or blue interior, 20" wheels, PDK and a lot of other stuff with a sticker of $88k knocked down to $84K. Not exactly blowing them out the door, as they say.
As nice as the 718 CS is supposed to be, $80K+ for a 1 year old model seems pretty dear.

Agree just $4K off an $88K car is not that big of a discount. (I've come across larger discounts but for "demo" cars which don't interest me.)

Like I like to say price is not fact only an opinion. I recall back in early 2009 left over new 2008 Caymans, Boxsters, 911 Cabs, other models, were being heavily discounted. 911's were discounted $30K from sticker. I picked up a new 2008 Cayman S for $50.6K, which was $12K off of the sticker price $62.6K, with no more effort then just walking onto the dealer showroom floor. The dealer had advertised the discount it was not one I negotiated.

Were I serious about a new 718 I'd ignore that $4K discount and try for something more in line with what discount (in terms of percentage) I got back in 2009. Based on my calculation the discount was approx. 19.16%. This would have that $88K price down to around $71K. At $71K I could be tempted to buy a new 718 S Cayman.
discounting that much if what I read about delivery dates and allocations is widespread.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login