Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS sets record 6:47.3 Nurburgring lap time

By Viknesh Vijayenthiran | Motor Authority
Published September 27, 2017

All hail the new king of the ‘Ring.

Porsche has done it. The German sports car marque’s latest baby, the 2018 911 GT2 RS, has lapped the punishing Nürburgring-Nordschleife in time of only 6:47.3.

That’s the new record for production cars, and it was achieved with drive only going to the rear wheels. More amazing still is that Porsche didn’t just shave a few milliseconds off the previous record. It absolutely smashed it.

The previous record was the 6:52.01 set by the all-wheel-drive Lamborghini Huracán Performante in 2016. The fastest time for a rear-wheel-drive car was the 7:01.3 set by a Dodge Viper ACR at the start of September.

The GT2 RS's record run took place on September 20 and was by no means a fluke. With Porsche test driver Lars Kern and factory racing driver Nick Tandy taking turns on the track, the car was setting times below 6:50 almost immediately. In the end it was Kern who set the fastest time. His average speed on the 12.8-mile lap was 114.4 mph.

Porsche unveiled its latest GT2 RS in June at the 2017 Goodwood Festival of Speed. With 700 horsepower and 553 pound-feet of torque generated by its 3.8-liter twin-turbocharged flat-6 engine, the car is the most powerful 911 ever sold, and now it’s the fastest too. It means the two-seater weighing 3,241 pounds can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds and top out at 211 mph.

Testament to the engineering prowess behind the car, it ran 9.7 seconds faster than Porsche’s own 918 Spyder hypercar which not only has significantly more power but a sophisticated all-wheel-drive system, too. Even Porsche was quite stunned by the result.

“At the start of the development process, we set ourselves a lap time target for the GT2 RS of less than 7:05,” head of GT cars at Porsche, Frank-Steffen Walliser, said after the run. “The credit for beating this target by 17.7 seconds goes to our development engineers, mechanics and drivers, who demonstrated an exceptionally strong team performance.”

Sadly, Porsche is building just 1,000 examples, and they’re all sold out. The price tag, not that it matters much now, is $294,250. Lucky customers awarded a build slot can look forward to deliveries starting in early 2018.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
1,000 cars at $294,250 is a cool $294,250,000 in Porsche's pockets. Glad there are enough uber rich to buy these toys to help trickle down some of this tech for us everyday folk to eventually experience in our cars. Although, my local PCA magazine/newsletter had an article in it about how Porsche doesn't make their cars seem special. He has a base 911 and says its the same view from the driver's seat as that from the Turbo S, GT3, etc. Ferrari does not do this. Each car is unique. We'll, think Porsche knows what it is doing. Besides, the sameness helps make the upper end 911s more profitable, which again, has a positive impact on the lower end. Couldn't imagine how expensive the early Boxsters would have been if they didn't share so many parts with the 996. 911 drivers weren't happy, but my bank account was as a 1998 986 owner. Same with lower-end 911 he is driving. If the upper end cars didn't share parts, there would be fewer parts to produce, which means each would be more expensive, and thus, his lower end car would be more expensive. I know, nothing to do with your post, just reminded me of the article and how the car looks like a basic 911, but is essentially a super car. But still, I'd buy one over an F-car, if I had that kind of discretionary income. My lottery car is actually a Turbo S Cab with the X51 package, assuming that's still a thing.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
No, the PDK did all of the shifting. Look at the tach, lots of shifting going on!
It wasn't the PDK that was shifting.
Look at his right hand on the upshifts and you will see the fingers moving the paddle.
The downshifts can't be seen since he's blocking his left hand.
Damn fast car! Shame they only made 1,000.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
Look at his right hand on the upshifts and you will see the fingers moving the paddle.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

So he was commanding the shifts, but no pedal clutching!

Gary in SoFL
Pedro (Weston, FL)
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Soon there will be a helmet that will control the car by analyzing your brain waves. You will only have to think to drive. It will be very fast.
old timer
Gary in SoFL
Pedro (Weston, FL)
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Soon there will be a helmet that will control the car by analyzing your brain waves. You will only have to think to drive. It will be very fast.

And it will be very expensive.

Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
and he makes it looks so easy!!!

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
trying to figure out the calibration. Are the thre concentric rings 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 or are they 0.5 1.0 and 1.5G?

It makes a big difference. I see the car well below the 3rd ring most of the time. This is quite conservative if that's 1.0G.

OTOH i see regular excursions to the third ring, and just beyond it. If that's 1.5G, and he's traveling over 100 mph when over steer occurs FAST, that's damn impressive In fact it impressive that the car is at 1.5G.

All that quant stuff aside, what impresses me is how fast things are coming at the driver, adn how the driver reacts - consistently, smoothly and safely in 1/10s of a second. I regularly think about this at AX. yes, faster cars make low lap times easier - but they also demand more of the driver. Not onyl must the CAR be capable, but at some time, is it too quick for me to process? Maybe.

This, i keep telling students, is the REAL reason to look ahead. yes, that's a good start, but now even more :-)

A big wow.

Is walter retired?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login