Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Looks like new O2 sensor. This is the second display of the same code in a year. I suspect the sensor is dying, but not dead.

I think I will replace the two initial O2 sensors. Keep them tracking together.

Thoughts?

And what is the current thinking about the best source for these?
I am going to buy from a reputable source and a name brand item. I want to do this repair once only.
... check the wiring and connector.
Many times it's a bag ground or frayed wire.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Buy the ones with pigtails.

If you don't want to do it, any muffler shop can, not unique to Porsche. Takes 15 minutes. Negotiate. List of part numbers here[/url towards the bottom (assuming we are talking 986).
It has around 75K miles on the clock, The sensors are not expensive, but obviously, I don't want to throw away money.

Is there an easy way to check grounding and continuity? I suppose I could take apart, hit it with air blast and see.... But it is a VERY intermittent problem now. Might not reappear for months.

Isn't it better to swap and be done with it?
JMstamford,ct
Looks like new O2 sensor. This is the second display of the same code in a year. I suspect the sensor is dying, but not dead.

I think I will replace the two initial O2 sensors. Keep them tracking together.

Thoughts?

And what is the current thinking about the best source for these?
I am going to buy from a reputable source and a name brand item. I want to do this repair once only.

My Boxster OBD2 reference is at home but I think that's an O2 sensor heater problem.

There may be a test to check the continuity of the heater circuit of the sensor but I'd have to have my reference handy to know the pins to use for this.

There is nothing like cleaning or really anything else you can do with the old sensors. They either work right or they don't.

Certainly do nothing with the new sensors other than leave them the box until you are ready to install and when installing do not touch the tip and handle the sensors carefully and install them promptly.

Regarding bad sensors the DME is pretty good at spotting a bad sensor so you could just replace it and I like the idea of replacing the bad sensor's counterpart on the other side to help ensure both banks have the same O2 sensor response times, sensitivity, etc.

Can't help you with source and brand name although when I had the sensors replaced in my 996 Turbo the tech -- at an indy no less -- said he'd use Bosch. I was in a hurry -- had to get the car smog checked so I said go ahead. The tech was the same tech that worked on the car at the Porsche dealer and I trusted him on this. So far the sensors appear to be just fine. The engine perked up a bit after new sensors were installed which was a plus.

For my 2002 Boxster when I had the sensors replaced at 305K miles I just had the tech install whatever the Porsche parts department supplied.

If you buy from some aftermarket parts supplier you want to be sure you get sensors that are suitable for use with the Boxster and have the right connectors and the proper length wiring leads so you can route the lead correctly to avoid it touching a hot exhaust pipe or getting damaged by road debris flying up. Also, the lead doesn't want to flop about as this can lead to connector or wiring damage.
So the last time this code appeared, I just reset and waited - it could have been a number of things.

Based on the above code, I guess "intermittent" was an understatement as 3 years passed.

This time, the code has been thrown 3 times in 3 weeks. So not so intermittent any more.

I have the sense that I will be under the car soon.
That is actual diagnosis. We cannot have that.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login