Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Some of the info according to Auto Motor und Sport
- will be no 4 cylinder
- current 3.0 engine with turbo will continue
- new platform that will be shared with Audi A8 and Lambo Aventador
- likely be a hybrid version
- likely be no manual
- will have new digital (except for analogue tachometer) dash / cockpit with similar layout to current instrument cluster
Spy shots here.
[www.auto-motor-und-sport.de]
Guenter in Ontario
- new platform that will be shared with Audi A8 and Lambo Aventador

I think you meant R8, Guenter.

So does this mean the porsche of porsches is no longer really a porsche?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I think you meant R8, Guenter.

So does this mean the porsche of porsches is no longer really a porsche?[/quote]

Yes. My bad. I did mean R8.

I think it just means they will share platforms. The 911 will still have the engine where it's been since the second Porsche was built. Porsche will put all it's own goodies and dressing on it. Let's face it, Porsches have shared lots of parts with other cars in the VW group.
Guenter in Ontario
I think it just means they will share platforms. The 911 will still have the engine where it's been since the second Porsche was built. Porsche will put all it's own goodies and dressing on it. Let's face it, Porsches have shared lots of parts with other cars in the VW group.

sharing parts is one thing. i don't mind if an alternator in my porsche is the same as in an audi but the whole platform? hmmm, i'm just wondering out loud here. it probably doesn't matter but i would just feel strange knowing that my porsche is built on the same "foundation" so to speak, as an audi or lambo. i guess it doesn't matter these days. don't listen to me, i'm just being a moldy fig.

--
Porsche, like you, isn't in bad company winking smiley

Hopefully may instill a little humility at Porsche spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
You are assuming that Audi is driving the train all alone on the "platform" specs. I think that they'd listen pretty intently to what Porsche engineers have to say on specifics of said platform. Audi may produce it due to economy of scale, but that doesn't mean that they created it in a vacuum and are shoving it down Porsche's and Lambo's throats.
There's lots of corporate sharing these days. I'm sure that the ideas are shared and the perceived best options are taken. Porsche already uses the same platform for the Macan that Audi uses for its Q5.
Guenter in Ontario
Porsche already uses the same platform for the Macan that Audi uses for its Q5.

... and the VW Tiguan.
I don't fault them for doing it.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Yes, but those are SUV/people movers, not a marquee sports car. With a luxo SUV, the badge on the hood/grill is probably the most important feature. A sports car people are more concerned with what's under the skin.
db997S
Yes, but those are SUV/people movers, not a marquee sports car. With a luxo SUV, the badge on the hood/grill is probably the most important feature. A sports car people are more concerned with what's under the skin.

those were pretty much my thoughts as well.

--
Well said. *NM*
MikenOH - 6 years ago
db997S

While I agree with you in general, there are also lots of people who buy Boxsters and 911's because of the badge on the hood. I've spoken to enough people, about their Porsche,s who don't really know much about the car except for "look at what I've got" because they can afford it (or trying to give that illusion.)

It'll be interesting to see where Porsche goes. They've torn the soul out of the Boxster. Sure the people who measure a car by HP numbers and 0 - 60 times see the 718 as better. It would be nice if they built some special edition with the "old" NA flat six. I know they're doing that with the new Sypder, but I'm sure they'll sell it for astronomical prices.

The real enthusiasts are the ones who tend to frequent forums like this one.

It'll be interesting to see what Porsche does with the new platform.
... there are some (few, but some nonetheless) that have purchased their "people mover SUV" based on its specs and performance (Turbo, GTS, etc).
Most of these already have another Porsche and they want the same "feel" and enjoyment of driving when toting their families with them.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 03:29PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Anyone who thinks that people think the 718 as better only because of it's HP and 0-60 time understand nothing about those "people", Porsche or the 718.

Pedro....did you receive a PM from me about a week ago???

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
... I did get your PM ... just now.
I forget to check my PM link.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Pedro (Weston, FL)
... there are some (few, but some nonetheless) that have purchased their "people mover SUV" based on its specs and performance (Turbo, GTS, etc).
Most of these already have another Porsche and they want the same "feel" and enjoyment of driving when toting their families with them.
Happy Pordsche'ing,
Pedro

As the owner of a 981S and a Macan turbo, I concur completely!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login