Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I was on my way to my indie mechanic (Provost Motorsports in Bordentown, NJ) to have them replace my passenger side mirror glass with the rounded mirror I purchased after cracking my mirror a year ago and not yet fixing it.

I figured if I did it myself I would either crack it, have it fall out/off or cut myself badly enough to end up with stitches. No big deal, they were happy to help.

1.5 miles from the shop my rear view (not cracked) is now showing full smoke behind me and I had no power pulling away from the next and last light before the shop. No idiot lights are showing on the dash, but something is clearly wrong.

I park, and the car is streaming transmission fluid all over their parking asphalt.

So, they will pull the engine and figure out and fix the problem ($3-$5K rough estimate as we stand there) on a 2000 Boxster with 88K miles and never a problem not caused by someone smacking into me. I guess I was due. They mentioned 3 things it could be (none of them a hose - oh well), but they were speaking Greek at that point (I have zero mechanical skills).

Happy Holidays! . I'm sure Robbie will replace the mirror for no charge at this point.

I'll post further as they give me details about the repair status.

Andrew
Sorry to hear. So it’s your transmission that leaked out fluid? You have an automatic transmission or manual? Smoke would usually mean Air Oil Separator. You sure it was tranny fluid?
at a torque converter seal. The fluid can just gush out. Kind of reads like what has happened to your car.

The Boxster Tip is pretty similar to transmissions used in other makes of cars and there are a number of transmission shops that can rebuild these transmissions and the Tip.

My local dealer service department tells me they get cars with a bad Tip in once in awhile and often the owner elects to have the Tip rebuilt and so the Tip is removed and taken to a repair shop to be rebuilt. Afterwards the Tip is put back in the car and that's that.

Alternatives? New Tip. Going to be expensive 'course you knew that. Used Tip. Less money but the used Tip might be as sick or nearly as sick at the Tip in the car. If you get a used Tip try to get it from a place that if the Tip proves to be bad out of the box (so to speak) you can at least exchange it for another one.

'course, you need a solid high confidence diagnosis as to what the source of the fluid is before you go off and pick up a used Tip.
... in several Audis where they effectively under-spec'd it wth a heavy car).

Most of our cars - even 986s and early 987s though, are after the supposed redesign by ZF.

I live in some fear of this happening to my S6 avant whcih is the poster child for the TC failure.
When it does its my excuse to convert it to a 6-speed manual :-)

Typically though, there are warnings - codes, hard shifts, or sometimes alack of lock up at highway speeds, when it should shift from fluid coupling to a mechanical linkage.

Anyway, sorry to hear. Make sure its rebuilt properly - best to get it rebuilt by the ZF service center or have an exchange from them.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Silver lining? You might want to consider adding the IMS bearing fix if they are dropping the transmission. Pedro has one, as well as LN (?). Good luck.
Yeah, they mentioned the IMS - $800-900 if I recall. I was still stunned by the epic failure of the engine.

Andrew
doesn't have engine or transmission failures at the age that most of these cars are getting to. Porsche is not alone and even the well reputed brands fail. I've had two major failures in the last 20 years, one engine, one transmission, both Japanese major units at under 100k miles. Be thankful yours failed in a safe place and a relatively cheap tow. My last major failure was 250 miles from home on my way to my 50th high school reunion.
They are all too complicated and nuanced to the nth degree for economy these days. So much more to go wrong with them.
Well, it's the transmission (tip). And apparently it broke in such a manner so that it can't be repaired. Just my luck.

So, looks like a $3500 repair +/-.

It couldn't have been a flat tire?

Andrew
A blown engine from an IMS bearing failure would cost you easily 3 to 7 times that amount, depending whether the replacement was new, or tired.

So... think of it this way - you have $10k left over for Xmas. smiling smiley

db997s recently paid $8k for a tune-up, oil, brakes, and tires. And the dealer didn't even buy him dinner/wine first.sad smiley

AndyInNYC
Well, it's the transmission (tip). And apparently it broke in such a manner so that it can't be repaired. Just my luck.

So, looks like a $3500 repair +/-.

It couldn't have been a flat tire?

Andrew
Roger987
A blown engine from an IMS bearing failure would cost you easily 3 to 7 times that amount, depending whether the replacement was new, or tired.

So... think of it this way - you have $10k left over for Xmas. smiling smiley

db997s recently paid $8k for a tune-up, oil, brakes, and tires. And the dealer didn't even buy him dinner/wine first.sad smiley

AndyInNYC

Well said; at this point I'm wondering what the supply of junkyard motors for the 986 are at this point, given they've been out of production for a long time. On the 997 side, the 3.8L--used--runs about $15K + installation, based on a what a friend went through.
And a bunch of places that specialize in Boxster wrecks listed here. A complete engine rebuild with all known weak areas addressed with thought to be better parts could run in the $20-30k range. Swapping in a trans is not the world's worst in Porsche repair costs though disappointing.
This is only the second auto transmission they've seen which has shredded itself.

We/they found an eBay compatible part and we'll see if they get it and if it works. It seems as though a running 2000 Tip goes for 10-13K. As parts, closer to $4K. So it seems like spending $3,500 makes sense on the economics side as well as (and more profoundly) the emotional side.

Andrew
It sounds like you plan on keeping the car for awhile. Since the transmission will be replaced, the DOF from Pedro would be a good idea IMO. It would be a real shame to put the money into the car and then have the engine go. At least do your own research on the subject. Good luck.

Steve
Our 2000 Boxster with Tip started slipping badly when it hit around 155K...we had it rebuilt for $4K by a shop that did Audi transmission. They gave a 3 yr/30K warranty.
It has been a year and about 7K...so far so good :-)

Would love to see it hit 200K.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 10:21PM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
On mine, something gave which caused the transmission to become a total loss - it basically ate itself. Or so the mechanic has said.

Andrew
Just had the transmission fluid change last month to fix a hesitation problem and the car ran great for a while, but then started hesitating again. On Sunday I drove down to Monterey for a round of golf. As I turned into the golf course parking lot, I began hearing some grinding noises. I pulled into a parking spot, stopped and got out... I noticed smoke vapors coming out from under the car and oil dripping onto the pavement. Initially I was thinking another IMS breakdown, but as I thought about it later, I recall no warning lights appeared.

I had the car flatbeded to my Indy 63 miles away in Campbell. Fortunately, AAA extended towing coverage has been really good about covering the tow for this car (flat bedded three times in the last 2 years).

Call from my Indy was good news/bad news.... engine is fine, but transmission is shot. Discussed getting a used transmission for around $1500 plus 10 hours labor to install. He said he would check the IMS bearing and replace the rear main seal. My engine is a 2006 (replacement engine for IMS failed 2002 engine), so now the engine has about 175k and the transmission has 210K miles on it when it failed.

BarryL '02 2.7 Seal Grey Tip 207K
Santa Cruz, CA
10 hours to drop and replace the transmission sounds excessive.

While you are at it have the clutch replaced, if it makes sense and make sure they replace the transmission mounts.
10 hours is just about right to remove and replace a Tiptronic transmission.
A manual requires less time.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
would you have the failed transmission rebuilt or have a replacement used (rebuilt or guaranteed used transmission)
Missed that it was a tip!
Manual replacement trans is also a lot cheaper!!!

Good luck on the replacement.

Question: Should I have the IMS replaced on my '00 while they are replacing the tip trans? It's again more money at a bad time - to my way of thinking, if it hasn't broken in 17 years, why would replacing it now be a good thing?

Andrew
Its a very personal issue! I am really happy that I have a DOF IMS solution, the Pedro/RSTune one and if I didn't have one and I was in your situation I would spend the money. An argument is that if you are financially strapped it is much better to spend the smaller amount of money now instead of potentially having to spend a ton more or scrapping the car later.
With 210K miles on the chassis and 175K on the engine, question is upgraded bearing or DOF solution given cost differential and age. I like the idea of DOF for piece of mind.

Santa Cruz, CA
Barry--did you have any issues getting the '06' motor to work in your '02' MY car? ECU change out?
Miken.
I do recall the dealership installing the new crated engine in 2006 having an issue with the wiring harness, but they figured it out. I don't know if that meant changing out the ECU.

Barry
Well, the car is ready - but with all the ice and snow it will need to wait a few days to be picked up.

14 hours of labor at $124 per
$1000 for new (old) tip transmission pulled from an 80K mileage car
$450 shipping from CA
2 MCV boot kit $52.6
trans fluid $180
AT Filter $53
Pan Gasket $43

Tax plus rounding = $3802.67 to get my 2000 back on the road (in winter ). They also fixed the cracked passenger mirror for which I had bought the glass and was driving towards them to fix when I blew up so spectacularly.

I'll let everyone know how it drives.

Andrew
In my case, the first used transmission installed did not perform well upon test drive, and had to be removed and returned, so my indy has ordered a second used tiptronic transmission that apparently has 90K miles on it. Hopefully, second time is a charm. In the meantime, I decided to have my indy order and install Pedro's DOF Kit 2,. I will report back on the results, Thanks, Andy for sharing.

Barry

Santa Cruz, CA
... have them drain it completely, replace the filter, clean out the oil pan and magnets and refill (according to Porsche's recommendations) using Red Line Synthetic Automatic Transmission Oil.
Tiptronics behave well with this stuff.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

PS: The DOF2 Kit is already on its way.

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
My new (used 110k mile) transmission, DOF solution, major service including spark plug tube replacement done. Great to have my boxster back and running like new. Its been awhile since it has run so well ....I almost forgot how it should drive! Thanks to Pedro for his advice along the way.

Santa Cruz, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login