Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Don't hate me but I have I decided it is time for the Boxster and I to part.

Been a good car and because of it I bought 2 other Porsches.

But even if the car gets fixed it is gone. I have it sold. The Turbo is sold too and gone. I picked up the check today. As soon as I deliver the Boxster I get paid for it.

You probably know about the 2018 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack I bought back on 12/17.

The car below I just bought Wednesday:

2018 Mini John Cooper Works Hardtop 2-door. 2.0l turbo-charged engine. 6-speed manual. LED headlights. Dual climate control heater/AC. 17" JCW track black wheels. Run flat tires. Harmon Kardan premium sound system. Sirius radio (which I'll never use). Auto dimming mirrors and the outside mirrors are power folding. That's about it. Oh, 228hp. 2845lbs.

In case anyone is wondering that's "rebel green", a special John Cooper Works (JCW) color. Oh, bought it up in Sacramento, CA.

The car has just a couple of hundred miles on it -- bought it with just 35 miles on the clock and some of those were put on with a test ride followed by a test drive) but I had it out on a mountain road near me tonight and I found the sports mode switch. Even keeping RPMs below 4500 (break in) the thing was snarlling and popping and cracking out the exhaust like a rally car. Don't let that small size fool you. That car can be scary fast.

Sure, it is not my Boxster on the same road but it is tossable and nimble and has plenty of grip and gains speed like you wouldn't believe. The 6-speed shifts as quick if not quicker than my Boxster's 5-speed. Throttle response is right now. I think the engine controller does rev matching or blips the throttle on down shifts I've never downshifted so fast before.

Going to miss my Boxster but I think the JCW will if not take the Boxster's place take a place along side the Boxster as a great car.

So after 15+ years of owning at least one Porsche I am Porsche less. (Well, as soon as I can collect the Boxster from the dealer up north a ways and deliver it.)

Might not be Porsche less forever. Just kind of want to experience a couple of different cars for a while -- have put around 1300 miles on the Challenger: the thing eats highway miles like you wouldn't believe -- and there was no room for 4 cars where I live. (And I didn't look forward to the $4K+ annual insurance premium.) (The JCW will cost me $1002/year as it is my daily driver/work commute car that I expect to drive about 15K miles per year. The Challenger will cost me $983/year as my "pleasure" car that I expect to drive about 5K miles per year.)
I will miss your stories about the Boxster, but as you said, it was time to move on.

What's the new owner plan to do with it? Spec racer, perhaps?
MikenOH
I will miss your stories about the Boxster, but as you said, it was time to move on.

What's the new owner plan to do with it? Spec racer, perhaps?

Sorry, I was not clear. Both cars are sold, but I sold them to the Porsche dealer.

A tech at the dealer might end up with the Boxster. For a Porsche tech that would be a very good car. He can certainly work on it and get parts at a discount.
Enjoy the new rides Marc.

We'll certainly miss hearing of the miles you've piled on your Boxster.

The new cars will certainly be totally different, one with front wheel drive and the other front engine and rear wheel drive. With the two new cars, you shouldn't have to do anything but add gas and drive for quite some time.
Guenter in Ontario
Enjoy the new rides Marc.

We'll certainly miss hearing of the miles you've piled on your Boxster.

The new cars will certainly be totally different, one with front wheel drive and the other front engine and rear wheel drive. With the two new cars, you shouldn't have to do anything but add gas and drive for quite some time.

Oh I intend to.

Just gas and drive... Boy those were the good old days!

Was joking that I hope I don't dump a quart of oil in the trunk of the Challenger and put my briefcase on top of the engine.

Speaking of oil reminds me....

Did manage to get an early oil/filter service for the JCW. Yesterday afternoon at East Bay Mini (Pleasanton ,CA) SA with no appointment got my car in for an oil/filter service during which time the tech also checked/set tire pressures and checked/topped up other fluid levels then got the car washed in practially no time. Under an hour I would guess. Cost? $97! Labor? Just $15.80!! 5 liters of BMW's 0w-20 (that's right that turbo-charged 2.0l engine uses 0w-20 oil) cost $52. (With no digital temperature gauge I have no idea what the coolant temperature gets to let alone the oil temperature. I have a new OBD2 code reader/data viewer/logger that I hope will at least let my monitor coolant temperature in real time. Can't find the damn OBD2 port connector in the JCW though.

Tried to get an early oil/filter service for the Challenger. Made an appointment. Showed up on time. SA talked me out it. Said the "392" engine is run in at the factory for around 40 to 50 minutes then afterwards the oil is changed and so is the filter. I said ok I'll pass to save one of my free oil/filter services or $125.

Come to find out the 392 engine is not run in at the factory. The Hellcat engine was at least back in 2015 but I suspect nowadays the factory knowing its processes are working might just skip that (expensive) step.

To make matters worse I got a phone call from someone asking about my "experience" at the dealership. The caller started off noting that I failed to show up for the appointment. Had to set her straight.

Car has covered around 1100 miles and I want the engine oil changed.

Gathering up all I need to do the oil change myself. Have the 7 quarts of Pennzoil 0w-40 Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic -- supposedly the only oil that meets Chrysler's specs for the engine -- and a filter. And yeah, on the Challenger forum there is a big debate about what oil one can use if he doesn't want to run the Pennzoil Chrysler says to use. And does the oil really need to be changed every 6000 miles or 6 months? Things never change...

Anyhow, with a 10% discount paid just over $10/quart for the oil and around $7 for the filter.

Found my 3/8" drive torque wrench and my 3/8" drive rachet and sockets and extensions. Picked up a set of Rhino Ramps. Will go by Lowe's and get some 12" by 2" (?) boards cut up to make a couple of wooden mini ramps to help ease the low nose of the Challenger up to clear the ramps. Need some mechanic's gloves cause that oil's going to be hot hot hot! I know this because the Performance Pages supplies graphical displays of among other things engine oil temperature. Just tonight cruising on the freeway in 50F amibent temperature the oil temperature reached 220F. Coolant temperature a balmy 203F.
I followed your postings on ppbb and this forum for years before I finally bought the Boxster. This forum was very helpful in making the big decision to risk owning a Porsche out of warranty. Good luck in the future.

Steve
Hi Marc,
Congratulations on moving on to your next "rides". Your posts on your Boxster will be missed... I am not sure anyone is going to catch up to the miles you have logged.

Thanks for all you have done in sharing your experiences and being so giving of your time and advice in helping us!

Barry
I know yours is one of the highest mileage Boxsters out there.
wow
frogster - 6 years ago
funny how these boards are and the acquaintances that you acquire feel like old friends. it's strange knowing that you are porsche-less after having known you on this board and ppbb before it for what seems like a long, long time. i remember your cayman adventure that didn't last very long. i remember your being in europe and us not getting a chance to meet.

i hope that this does not spell the end of your presence here on pb. i have a feeling it won't. good luck marc with your new adventures. and keep in touch!

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: wow
MarcW - 6 years ago
frogster
funny how these boards are and the acquaintances that you acquire feel like old friends. it's strange knowing that you are porsche-less after having known you on this board and ppbb before it for what seems like a long, long time. i remember your cayman adventure that didn't last very long. i remember your being in europe and us not getting a chance to meet.

i hope that this does not spell the end of your presence here on pb. i have a feeling it won't. good luck marc with your new adventures. and keep in touch!

Think it best to leave. I have really nothing more to offer now I'm no longer driving a Porsche. And if I don't leave all you'll be reading about is what's going on with my two new cars. You'll be sick of that in no time.

Yeah, kind of sad to be leaving the Porsche world even if probably only temporarily. Everyone has been just great and I'm left with is just the best memories.
..your interesting, informative, and helpful automotive insight. Besides, you *know* you'll be acquiring another Pcar soon, lol. You've as much indicated on several occasions. So please stick around and continue offering your Porsche knowledge and wisdom.

Kind regards, -Rick.

MarcW
Think it best to leave. I have really nothing more to offer now I'm no longer driving a Porsche. And if I don't leave all you'll be reading about is what's going on with my two new cars. You'll be sick of that in no time. Yeah, kind of sad to be leaving the Porsche world even if probably only temporarily. Everyone has been just great and I'm left with is just the best memories.
I'm sure your Porsche service department is sad to see you go, but if Mini's rep holds, you'll be getting to know the service folks over there real well.Good luck with yours, but the three people I've known that had Minis got rid of them before the loans were paid off. They loved their cars, but hated the quality. Now, that was a couple of years ago, so maybe Mini has improved in that area.
Bummer for us Marc!

So, how many miles were on your cars and how much did you get for them? I am very curious what a high mileage Porsche brings.

Just a wonder.... how long will it take you to learn all the common check engine codes?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Marc,
I had a feeling this day would come. Thank you very much for all the thoughtful and detailed submissions that you've posted over the years. You always found time to comment on my issues and the info I've gleamed from your other posts would fill a shop manual! Good luck with the new rides. I have a feeling though that it won't be too long before you find yourself back in a Porsche. As the owner of a forest green metallic '99, I have to say I rather like the look of the JCW! Dark green is an excellent colour ... it's worked for me for the last 14 years. Happy New Year and good luck with your new adventures!
Cheers,
John

PS: Do drop in now and again.

and I've always been impressed with the thoughtful replies. Your answers have been thorough, detailed, and from experience. You've been a true asset to the board and you will be missed. smileys with beer
Thanks for all the assistance over the years. Enjoy your new cars! I hope you check in and comment every now and then.

Tony
I don't think I really have that much to offer any more. My Boxster is a 2002 model and my automotive service/repair experience is even in the more distant past.

And absent any Porsche/Boxster experience going forward I'd fill in the gaps with Challenger/JCW stuff and as anxious as you are to see me stay you would be even more anxious to see me leave after reading me going on and on about my new cars.

But speaking of the Boxster, I still have not gotten the Boxster back from the dealer service department. 'course, I still have the dealer's loaner Macan.

This Macan has a PDK transmission. I was driving the car last night -- to just top up the battery since it has been sitting so long at my house unused -- and I noticed when the transmission up or down shifted -- I was in manual mode at first but even in automatic mode -- the RPMs went up or down very quickly. Was not behaving like I recall a Tip behaves. Got home and looked up the Macan model on line and sure enough it is fitted with a PDK transmission. Finally I got a chance to drive a Porsche with a PDK. Based on my experience with this Macan -- well around 40 miles worth of experience -- I'm kind of liking PDK.
MarcW
I don't think I really have that much to offer any more. My Boxster is a 2002 model and my automotive service/repair experience is even in the more distant past.

And absent any Porsche/Boxster experience going forward I'd fill in the gaps with Challenger/JCW stuff and as anxious as you are to see me stay you would be even more anxious to see me leave after reading me going on and on about my new cars.

But speaking of the Boxster, I still have not gotten the Boxster back from the dealer service department. 'course, I still have the dealer's loaner Macan.

This Macan has a PDK transmission. I was driving the car last night -- to just top up the battery since it has been sitting so long at my house unused -- and I noticed when the transmission up or down shifted -- I was in manual mode at first but even in automatic mode -- the RPMs went up or down very quickly. Was not behaving like I recall a Tip behaves. Got home and looked up the Macan model on line and sure enough it is fitted with a PDK transmission. Finally I got a chance to drive a Porsche with a PDK. Based on my experience with this Macan -- well around 40 miles worth of experience -- I'm kind of liking PDK.

I've driven a few and think that if you had to drive a Sports/Sporty car with an automatic transmission, this would be the one to have.
The shifts happen very quickly and on the track I'd expect most people to have faster lap times as a result of that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login