Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I've got the Porsche trickle charger that I bought 5 + years ago and until this AM it had worked without issue.
When I checked on the condition of the car today--just looking at the indicator lights-- the "motorcycle" setting was amber as was the charge level. I check the battery and an indicated 12.2 v was displayed on the battery level. Pressing the button did nothing, couldn't even turn it off.

I unplugged it in the car and the from the wall, then replugged it back in on both ends, getting a green light on the power but nothing regarding charging the car or battery level. I keep pressing the button but nothing is going on.

Dead charger or something else?
... a couple of the CTEK units do the same.
I threw them out and stopped selling them.
CTEK is the manufacturer of the Porsche charger.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: I’ve had ...
MikenOH - 6 years ago
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... a couple of the CTEK units do the same.
I threw them out and stopped selling them.
CTEK is the manufacturer of the Porsche charger.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Upon further review, the cable connecting the cigarette adapter to the CTEK module cracked at the flexible shaped cable as it comes out of the CTEK module; the rubber must have hardened over time and in cold weather it's not very flexible.
On to something else I guess...

IIRC, Porsche Tech charger from Suncoast runs $125+ shipping--yipes!
Look for one that has 8 cycles if you want to resuscitate dead batteries.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Interesting....thanx for that. I tried using my MUS 4.3 to breath life into my wife's two year failed Duralast Gold using the "refubishment" cycle.... didn't work. The battery may have been too far gone but I don;t know enough about these things. The battery was showing slow starts.... I would CTEK it and it would start well for 1/2 day..... I checked the fluid levels and one chamber was 1/2 full..... the next just abit down ... the others were fine. So I put in some distilled water and did the refurb...... it was worse now. Autozone just handed me a new battery as the warranty was three years.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
...any chance it has accumulated some moisture in the wrong places?

Do check that cable.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
IIRC, it's amber when charging and a steady green display when fully charged.

On mine, one of the wires coming out of the module leading to the cigarette lighter broke preventing any charging. The green power light --indicating the module had power--was on but that was it.

After looking at it, I think I bought this unit when we got the 987 back in 2005, so after 12 years it's done. I picked up a Schumacher unit--3A--with a digital display, float capability, auto shut-off and a few other things for $50 at an auto store
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
I have 2 of the Schumacher units; one on my Boxster that sleeps for close to 5 months each winter and one I use on my DD if it sits for more than few days. A well charged battery is a must up here in the Great White North when the temps get sub sub zero. I bought both at Princess Auto which is kind of Canada's version of Harbor Freight. Price was about $60.00 CDN or about $45 US. Both have worked flawlessly for the 4 years I've owned them.
So, is this the one to buy Northern tool) ...I am only driving the Boxster about once a week?
Which one to buy?
dak911 - 6 years ago
Can someone recommend a charger.....
Get the Schumacher. Use the direct wire option and simply detach when you want to drive. Like I said 4 years ownership on 2 cars and they work flawlessly. And the price is right.
Schumacher Battery Extender Charger/Maintainer — 6/12 Volt, 3 Amp, Model# SP3
[www.northerntool.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login