Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Got an email from the SA. The cause of the Boxster P1128 error code is....

AOS!

What!?

Yep, AOS.

The current AOS was installed fall of 2014 so it is just 3 years old and has probably only racked up 30K miles (10K miles per year is my new annual mileage with the Boxster since I no longer take it out on long road trips.) Because of this while I considered the AOS as a possible suspect it wasn't very high on my list. I thought error code was from a vacuum hose or fitting or even a small intake leak past a bad intake o-ring.

Appears I'm getting out of the Boxster at the right time if AOS's are going to last just 3 years/30K miles.

Might mention had I had the patience to continue to just drive the car a while longer and tolerate the CEL that the AOS was the culprit might have made itself evident without the weeks (!!!) of diagnosis.

This AOS "failure" kind of reminds of the 2nd AOS failure which started out on a 2K mile drive back east would turn on the CEL (and I think log a P1128 error code -- which at the time had me thinking the problem was a MAF) as I waited for a stop light after leaving the freeway after an hours long drive. Did this a couple of days then after I reached my destination the next day in the hotel parking lot the exhaust just billowed oil smoke and then I knew what the CEL and error code really meant.

Boxster might be ready to pick up Thursday or Friday. Parts (at least an AOS) are needed but I don't think parts got ordered in time to arrive by Wednesday AM.

Oh, and a bit of drama has come up regarding the cost of the repair. Think I'll wait until after I have collected the car to detail this. So probably expect one last follow up report.
As to AoS failures, I have a 'back of my head" concern that the oil usage I'm chasing in my otherwise great-running track motor (new, rebuild) may be the 1 year old AoS, simply overwhelmed by the high sustained pressure, high temperature oil vapor, and hgih flow of track use (put foot too floor, wait, brake hard, repeat).

Maybe i shoudl keep them on the shelf
G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant

... or install the motorsports version.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
grant
As to AoS failures, I have a 'back of my head" concern that the oil usage I'm chasing in my otherwise great-running track motor (new, rebuild) may be the 1 year old AoS, simply overwhelmed by the high sustained pressure, high temperature oil vapor, and hgih flow of track use (put foot too floor, wait, brake hard, repeat).

G

Technically I'm not sure whether I still own the car or not. The buyer has the title with my signature on it and the car's current registration. I have the car, well, the dealer (not my local dealer but a more distant dealer) has the car. I have most of the keys.

It will be 4 weeks Monday the car has been in for the P1128 diagnosis and repair. Tuesday I was informed the diagnosis was as I stated above the AOS. There was a, to be kind, a mix up regarding the price of the repair, and I was given a much higher "quote". I had to remind the SA of the price he quoted just a few days after I had dropped the car off on Dec. 18, 2017. This price which was considerably less than what he quoted me Tuesday. I told the SA I expected him to honor the quote he gave me earlier a quote upon which I gave my consent to proceed with the diagnosis and repair. After some back and forth he said he'd make the 1st quote "work" and get the car repaired. When I tried to get a date/time he expected to have the car ready to pick up he hung up on me.

That was Tuesday. Here it is Friday and I have no word on the car. Can't take but a day to get a new AOS in and a few hours to replace it. If I don't hear back later today I'm contacting the service department manager or the general manager to find out what's going on. I have already constructed a letter to send to the dealer informing it that if the car is not fixed as per our agreement and in a short time I will file a complaint with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair and with the county's Consumer Protection agency.
The M-version
grant - 6 years ago
costs about $800 if you can find it, which often i cant.

Its main benefit is that it can handle large volumes of oil and hgih g-loads, both of whcih overwhelm the normal one.

I don't know if it is also more robust probably.

On the street mine seem to last well, but i don't drive as many miles as Marc, nor do i live in such a warm climate, both of which contribute.
Warmth through hotter oil that damages the membrane more.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
and doesn't perform any better than the less expensive one. It might last longer but at IIRC approx. 3x the cost of the less expensive one it had better last forever.

Speaking of AOS's I've bought my last AOS for my Boxster, unless the dealer does fix the Boxster, in which case I will buy just one more.

Earlier today I spoke to the buyer and he said for me to not put any moeny into the car. He doesn't require it be fixed and he was aware of the CEL before he agreed to buy the Boxster.

Also, I told him what I'm going through with the other dealer and he says it sounds like the other dealer is holding my car for "ransom" for some reason. He suggested I call Monday and demand the car be put together so I can pick up Tuesday.

Sure would like to get the car so I can deliver it and sign the release of liability form and then drop insurance on the Boxster. I've already done that for the Turbo and will get a refund of $140 for the unused portion of the coverage for which I paid up in full last year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login