Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My '99 986 had the passenger side mirror dip feature when putting the car in reverse and I was surprised to see my '14 981 did not carry on that tradition. I've since learned the mirror dip is tied to the Seat Memory option, which my current car does not have. I checked the Vehicle > Settings > Lights & Visibility Menu and Reverse Options is not there.

Is there a hack to turn that option on, Oh Mighty Hackmaster Pedro?

TIA,

Bob
I'm sure it could be hacked, but these new cars are so complex that it would cost more to figure out how to hack it than just getting the seat memory option initially.
Every single component in the car (including the rearview mirrors) are interconnected and CANBus compliant, so trying to tap into that is nearly impossible without software and codes.
Maybe the car could be reprogrammed (tricked) to think it has the memory seat option, but that can only be done with the PIWIS which I don't have at the moment.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
My first Boxster (98), did not have the OBC option, but I really wanted to have the outside temp display appear. All cars were equipped with the gauge, but technically, you needed the OBC option ($) to activate it. When I brought me car in for the first time for its service, I asked the tech if he could activate just that function. He did. So, not sure if you have a decent dealer, but as your car is still under warranty, I assume you bring it there for service and warranty work. Next time it is in, talk to the service tech to see if they can activate that function.
My service rep is a good guy, he does mention, "the survey" at least 5 times at drop off and pick up. It's a binary option (on/off) so you would think a tech could change the setting. I will definitely bring it up at my next visit.
I was hoping just to bend over pin #19 or #20. No such luck. winking smiley Thanks, Pedro.
Those days are long gone.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I retrofitted memory seats in my 2000 Boxster and was considering adding the memory and reverse functions to the mirrors. Even on a relatively non-complex 2000 986 that won't be a simple task. The mirrors have two control circuits - one that runs from the manual controls and another that runs from the memory module under the driver's seat. The memory mirrors have 12 pins instead of the 6 that you find on the non-memory mirrors. So, I will need to run quite a bit of wiring through the car and install two mirrors.

I picked up most of the parts (except for one more memory mirror) very inexpensively. At some point when I have time, I may take on this task, but I anticipate it will take a couple of days at my relatively slow work rate.

I'm sure it is quite a bit more complex in a newer car.
:-)

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login