Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hi all.

So my new transmission seems to be working, although I have to get back to my mechanic about some really small leaks he and I discussed post repair.

New problem, however.

My driver's side door handle tension spring (I think that's the name and problem) snapped on me. The symptoms are that I heard and felt it go and the door handle is now 'slack' for lack of a better word. When I hit a bump it will move slightly and the lights will go on, etc. When I get out and close the door it doesn't fit flush and the interior lights stay on and the alarm will beep.

The part is $10-$15 delivered, but I fear that the repair cost (taking the door apart) will be an hour of labor. Is there a good video which would show me how to DIY this? Is there likely more needed aside from the spring which I will only find once I take the battery off and rip the door down?

Andrew
... there's a difference between the 986 and 987.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I have a 2000 2.7.

Andrew
Pedro - I have a 2000 2.7 Base Boxster. Do you have any follow up info?

Andrew
The 986 is an easy fix.
You don't even need a new spring, just bend a new hook on the one that broke.
You'll need to remove the door panel in order to fix the spring.
There are several fasteners that hold it in place.
Pull the inside latch and remove the phillips screw behind it.
Remove the airbag plug on the airbag. Pry it off. There's a 5 mm hex screw that needs to be removed.
Remove the latch trim piece by carefully prying off from the bottom. There's a T30 bolt that needs to be removed.
Remove the trim ring at the base of the door handle. Pry it off. Theres a second T30 bolt that needs to be removed.
Open the door cubby. There's an expansion fastener that needs to be removed. Use a phillips screwdriver.
Once all of these fasteners are removed, start prying off the door panel with a non-scratching tool. Start at the bottom and work up on both sides until all have released.
Now just lift the panel off the door's support channel.
You now have to disconnect one, two or three electric plugs (depending on your car).
Finally, remove the latch cable by squeezing the ends of the white plastic fastener and sliding forward. Twist the tip of the cable off.
Installation is the reverse of the removal process.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Given my level of mechanical stupidity, I didn't feel comfortable doing the repair.

Took it to my mechanic who fixed it in front of me. He charged me for 1/2 hour of labor (was probably only 15 minutes - another customer came in and we chatted about his car). He did, however, pull a spring from another door panel they had and put it in without additional cost. The spring's top had sheared off, but no damage was present on any of the plastic parts - simple fix.

So, for a half hour of labor ($62+ with tax) I was on my way. I'm quite happy - cheap and simple resolution and I didn't have to try to do it myself.

Andrew
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login