Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I don't know how to post pics here. I think you'd find them to be self explanatory. The immobilizer circuit board definitely got wet and has corrosion on it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can anything be done with this? Can it be saved? What are my options now?
Generally if it gets wet and you don't run any power through it, it can be saved.
When there's corrosion, most likely that there is damage because power has run through it.
You can try taking out the circuit board and submerging it in isopropyl alcohol for 10- 15 minutes.
Then shake and let it air dry. Don't use a hair dryer or similar.
You can try to clean the corrosion with WD40 and a toothbrush.
Repeat the isopropyl dunk and dry.
Re-install and cross your fingers.

If it doesn't work totally or partially, you will need a new unit.
The new unit has to be programmed using a PST-II or PIWIS unit. It can only be programmed once.
Do not buy a used one unless it comes with the car keys and the DME from a car that's the exact same model year as yours.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
For the alcohol, go to a drug store and get the 90% (or higher) Isopropyl. Not all stores carry it. The standard 70% has more water in it.

Al
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login