Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Back-up Camera
p-wagen - 6 years ago
Have any of you all installed a wireless back-up camera in their Boxster? If so, what brand and how easy is it to do? (My Boxster is a '98) Rear view mirror type or some other place for the screen? Thanks, Rich
I’ve installed several on Boxsters.
The cleanest install is using the mirror with the integrated monitor.
Keep in mind that most of those mirrors are clip-on type which go over hour existing mirror and, in my opinion, look tacky.
The best install was using a rearview mirror salvaged from a Chevy Suburban. I just purchased the camera separately and hooked it up with the mirror hiding all the wiring.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I've used it and it works surprisingly well.

[www.youtube.com]
Information on installing a wired back up camera

I know you asked about a wireless back up camera, but if you decide you to go with a wired unit and a double DIN head unit there is some helpful info on the 986 forum. Even if you decide to stick with your wireless plan you may find some of the information such as how to find the back up signal wire helpful.

Good luck with your project.
Pedro -
Did you install wired cameras, and if so, how did you get the wiring through the firewall? I got a camera to go with my new Alpine head unit and I can't figure out how to snake the wires.

Thanks,

Al
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login