Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Wow!
Guenter in Ontario - 5 years ago
Looks like Porsche didn't just cut two cylinders off the flat six. They also moved things around to create an extra "challenge" for servicing. Makes you wonder how much the dealers will charge for THAT oil change.
Re: Wow!
MikenOH - 5 years ago
Guenter in Ontario
Looks like Porsche didn't just cut two cylinders off the flat six. They also moved things around to create an extra "challenge" for servicing. Makes you wonder how much the dealers will charge for THAT oil change.

Maybe they are moving back to those extended oil change intervals smiling smiley.
It's been a while since I've had a dealer supply the oil,filter and labor to do a change but this definitely looks more labor intensive and therefore more expensive.
I'm no engineer but it appears that access to the oil drain and filter definitely took a backseat to other concerns with the engine compartment layout for some reason that isn't apparent.
the air cooled folks were passing that one around back in 97-98...so the new process seems better smiling smiley
.. the oil filter. The oil drain/add part is quite easy. So why is it there? And what is the "funnel"?I wonder if this has something to do with a better integrated "dry" sump design? I know they are far less prone to starvation; bigger internal storage that demands a different - and awful - filter location?

I wonder if there is a work around. Amazing that i have not heard about this. I guess no one changes their own oil.

Pedro? You must see them

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Not only is the filter harder to get at, but it looks like the filter and filter housing have both been redesigned. From the look of the ends of the filter, I bet the filter will be more expensive than the 981 filter. I guess that will match the $9,000 increase in Boxster prices (at least here in Canada).
I spoke to a new 718 owner. He was quoted $1200 for an oil change on his. Holy moly.
Tony in Whittier
I spoke to a new 718 owner. He was quoted $1200 for an oil change on his. Holy moly.

Yah, but think of all the money you save on gas with the 4 banger - that's as long as you drive it like a comatose octogenarian to keep the turbo from spooling up.
Well-made video
Boxsterra - 5 years ago
That dude needs to put some grease on his jack.

Apparently the funnel is built into the car to catch oil that comes out of the sideways oil filter housing.
thanks, Mike
grant - 5 years ago
I do hate those under-trays. Small beer you may say, but its a total PITA on my Audi, and I have always loved just how simple this job is on the 986; remove plug, spin off filter, drain, replace (wait forever, go do something), fill, done. On the Audi, its 1) fight with and swear at the belly pan, then 2) wrestle the oil filter out of a crevice behind the sway bar where and errant move shorts it across the starter pins SPARK!!. Change shorts.

Now back to the GTS. From what i see this is only for the 4-cyl turbos, not the previous 981 flat six. The 9A1 was more complicated, but as I recall, nothing was difficult to access.

From the video - the two issues are a) the belly pan and b) poor access to the filter, Just like my Audi.
I wonder what the reason for the pan is. Normally, aero is part of it, but i also suspect its to insulate the hot mufflers and cats from, say, leaves.
I could see some leaving it off.

I expect that, as with the S6, the filter becomes easier with practice. For track use and frequent oil changes, it may make sense to leave it for several oil changes. The filter wont clog in 5-8k miles, and the 250-300mL is not the end of the world....

Grant

Grant

Re: thanks, Mike
MikenOH - 5 years ago
grant
I do hate those under-trays. Small beer you may say, but its a total PITA on my Audi, and I have always loved just how simple this job is on the 986; remove plug, spin off filter, drain, replace (wait forever, go do something), fill, done. On the Audi, its 1) fight with and swear at the belly pan, then 2) wrestle the oil filter out of a crevice behind the sway bar where and errant move shorts it across the starter pins SPARK!!. Change shorts.

Now back to the GTS. From what i see this is only for the 4-cyl turbos, not the previous 981 flat six. The 9A1 was more complicated, but as I recall, nothing was difficult to access.

From the video - the two issues are a) the belly pan and b) poor access to the filter, Just like my Audi.
I wonder what the reason for the pan is. Normally, aero is part of it, but i also suspect its to insulate the hot mufflers and cats from, say, leaves.
I could see some leaving it off.

I expect that, as with the S6, the filter becomes easier with practice. For track use and frequent oil changes, it may make sense to leave it for several oil changes. The filter wont clog in 5-8k miles, and the 250-300mL is not the end of the world....

Grant

Your comment about the simplicity of the 986 oil change setup is spot on. Everything is out in the open and accessible without jumping through hoops.
It seems like another step in making maintenance on this car more difficult for the DIY owners; the brakes were formerly the easiest to do now require the front calipers to be removed from the rotor to replace pads. Now, the oil change gets complicated and access to the filter it is restricted.
After watching that guy struggle with this while on his back I wouldn't want to try it w/o a lift.
..especially since all that on and off slowly weakens the delicate threads holding the caliper to the knuckle. Which, i'll remind all, bit me in the end.

Yet the 981 cars are SOOOOOo superior -- performance, motor durability, chassis poise. I expect i will own one relatively soon (a couple years).

G

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login