Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
"well under 3.5 seconds"
And, if it they can center the batteries and have 50/50 weight distribution, on top of a low center of gravity that these power packs create this car may not simply be about 0-60 times. It very well could eat up the curves like a true Porsche.
Shhh
Boxsterra - 5 years ago
the horse and buggy folks are sharpening their pitchforks
How does one do that in a single day with a pure E-car?

We do that routinely now.
JMstamford,ct

Porsche is planning a network of charging stations and along with, I believe BMW and Mercedes, for more universal EV plug-ins. They also plan on having a free app that will automatically take your to the nearest charging station. The app is designed to also accept payment via different currencies. This is for Europe and I'm sure they plan on doing that for North America too.
[www.porsche.com]
Guenter in Ontario
JMstamford,ct

Porsche is planning a network of charging stations and along with, I believe BMW and Mercedes, for more universal EV plug-ins. They also plan on having a free app that will automatically take your to the nearest charging station. The app is designed to also accept payment via different currencies. This is for Europe and I'm sure they plan on doing that for North America too.
[www.porsche.com]

Porsche claims the Taycan will take about 15 minutes to charge the battery to 80%.

Not sure how you would handle flat lining the battery. I'm guessing you'd have to have the car towed to the nearest EV plug-in.
Easy
Boxsterra - 5 years ago
You make one 15 minute stop to charge. If you routinely drive 9+ hours without stopping then that would be unusual.

Porsche owners are the last people to suggest that every car should satisfy every possible need. By your logic people shouldn't buy a Boxster or a 911 because you might need to carry 4 passengers, which is way more common than driving 550 miles in one stretch.
for 80% of driving they are probably fine. I object to the rush to eliminate internal combustion cars.

That is where this is headed and I submit it is not the correct thing to do.

I am also not convinced that the 80% charge claim will hold up in practice. I hope I am wrong, but consider me doubting Thomas....
They are vastly simpler machines that are cheaper to maintain, have superior performance, are quieter, pollute less, and reduces our reliance on foreign oil.

If Porsche makes one that is as fun to drive as they claim it still won't be the same as gas-powered cars, but gas-powered cars aren't the same today as they were in the past either.

Evolution is good
My wife has a Volt. Amazing car. Regular maintenance consists of rotating tires and resetting TPMS. Brakes last forever because of regenerative braking, and oil changes depend on number of hours the engine has run. Because it doesn't drive the wheels it lives and easy life. This car will last forever and cost nothing to maintain.
Winter driving?
Wyominguy - 5 years ago
And how do all these EV's run in -20 degree winters?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 11:34PM by Wyominguy. (view changes)
Wyominguy

I'm sure they'll run. Electric motors don't have coolant and oil that needs to warm up.

BUT, they certainly will have a much reduced range because of the cold battery's reduced capacity. Then there's the extra draw for heater, defroster, heated seats, and higher demand for lighting systems that have to be used for more hours without daylight.

Higher temperatures will also reduce the capacity of batteries and there will also be a higher demand on power to run AC systems,
Guenter in Ontario
Wyominguy

I'm sure they'll run. Electric motors don't have coolant and oil that needs to warm up.

BUT, they certainly will have a much reduced range because of the cold battery's reduced capacity. Then there's the extra draw for heater, defroster, heated seats, and higher demand for lighting systems that have to be used for more hours without daylight.

Higher temperatures will also reduce the capacity of batteries and there will also be a higher demand on power to run AC systems,

From the Tesla forums:
[forums.tesla.com]

The owners figure a 40-50% range loss in colder temps

Likewise, it sounds like Tesla equips the cars with battery heaters for operating in cold temps, but they likewise consume power.

So, if you're in an area where the temps change dramatically with the seasons, your range will be significantly reduced during local cold weather season--and apparently during the summer temp peaks.

This may or may not be a big deal for a typical owner, but it's one more worth considering when buying the car.
Then again, if you're trying to save the planet--and look trendy at the same time--I guess these are just minor bumps in pursuing those goals. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2018 08:42AM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Interesting info there, Mike. So let's say you do maintain a 60% range on a full charge in winter driving. That leaves you a range of 180 mi. When on a trip, I like to leave myself at least 80 - 90 mi. of reserve fuel, in case of traffic jams, stations closed, detours etc, before filling up. So that means on a Winter trip, I'd be looking for a "fill up" every 100 miles, remembering that 20 minutes of charging only gives you an 80% charge. That's going to need a pretty comprehensive charging network.

Then there's the problem of having different types of charging hookups for different makes. At least Porsche is working to have a common charging system with BMW and Mercedes. Imagine how much more challenging a drive from Ohio to Florida would be if your car could only be filled at Shell stations and others brands weren't compatible.

So, I agree, an EV can serve the purpose if you're using it to commute to work and local driving, but not very practical for long trips.
Porsche says "15 minutes to recharge for another 250 miles of range" (source [www.porsche.com])

but that's using today's tech. Battery tech is moving pretty fast (cheaper cost, higher density).
But those figures were referring to winter driving conditions when battery levels drop. And according to the Tesla forums, it's a substantial drop in winter. Of course, Winter can be a relative term, depending on where you live. The people experiencing up to a 50% drop were in Chicago, which has similar winter weather to Ontario.
The marketing begins, or continues.

Not so sold on an electric soul, but there's little doubt it will have four soles.
PAG has told us what is coming. Its published for everyone to see in the Porsche AG Perspective, Annual and Sustainability Report of Porsche AG 2017:

"Living sustainably is an overarching strategic target for Porsche. For us, economic success, ecological awareness and social responsibility are not contradictions. On the contrary, when combined, they form a whole which defines the company’s attitude Economic success distinguishes Porsche – as does social compatibility. Precisely as a manufacturer of exclusive, high-performance sports cars, Porsche regards itself as being obliged to enhance the acceptance of the company and its products worldwide by means of socially and ecologically responsible action … We are currently transferring our experience and lessons learned from decades of motor racing and thousands of victories from our sports-car prototypes to Formula E."

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Let's make all the gas guzzling SUV's into EV's. That's the majority of productions from Porsche now. That will accomplish a big reduction of pollution and get people from point A to point B.

No one "needs" a sports car. They're not designed to carry furniture, building supplies etc. The real reason to own a sports car like the Boxster, is to thoroughly enjoy the act of driving. It should have you excited from the time you get in, twist the key, enjoy the feel and sensations, shifting, braking and steering in a balance motion of driving until you arrive at your destination and feel the disappointment of having to end your experience. The sound is just one of those elements.

I guess that there might be some who turn off the sound to watch a movie like Top Gun, so they can watch the F14's quietly and gracefully glide across the screen. I'm just not among them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login