Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
IMS Question
Lew - 5 years ago
Is there a IMS bearing in the 08 Porsche Cayman's?
Lew
Is there a IMS bearing in the 08 Porsche Cayman's?

Yes there is.

The second generation 987 or 987.2, starting in model year 2009, was the first year Boxsters and Caymans had the redesigned 9A1 flat six without the IMS.
Re: IMS Question
Lew - 5 years ago
OK, that's what I wanted to know.....Thanks!
so much so that it could not be removed by pulling it out rather the cases had to be split.

However, even though I knew this before I bought the car I was not concerned as I expected the odds of a 2008 engine suffering from an IMSB failure given reasonable care/servicing -- which in the case of my 2002 Boxster had the IMSB lasting 317K miles -- to be quite long.
... the possible failure or longevity of an IMS bearing in these cars has nothing to do with the care/maintenance of the vehicle.
If the IMS bearing’s seals keep the lifetime grease in place, it’ll last a lifetime.
If the seals allow the grease to escape, it won’t.
Luckily it’s a small percentage tha have failures.
Luckily there’s also a permanent fix if you worry about the slim chance of failure.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Disagree...
MarcW - 5 years ago
Regular oil changes tend to keep the acidity of the oil low which helps prolong seal life. Additionally POA oils are not seal friendly but they do have an additive (ester) to counter this. But regular use (and again regular oil changes to keep the seal friendly additive level high) are necessary to keep the seal from suffering from exposure to POA oil. Otherwise the seal will dry out and shrink.

IOWs, an owner can help the IMSB seal last a long time and thus help the IMSB last a long time.
... when I make such a bold statement I exaggerate to make my point.
If you completely neglect maintenance and oil changes you’ll have other issues besides the IMS to worry about.
What I’m trying to get to is that changing the oil at 5,000 or 3,000 or even 1,000 mile intervals doesn’t affect the longevity of the IMS.
I am convinced that the small amount that fail would have failed just the same.
The one scenario that does seem to increase the likelihood of an IMS failure is a car that does not get driven for weeks and months at a time.
We have seen multiple failures throughout the years where there was a documented history of regular maintenance.
We have also seen more examples than not of cars with shoddy maintenance and no IMS issues at high mileage.
This was dully studied when we were trying to determine the cause (or causes) of the IMS issues.
YMMV.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 08:57AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
its not a tight fit seal. Its basically a rubber washer between the two races, spanning quite a distance. The normal "seal conditioning" does not, i dont believe, apply here.

I do agree that acid is a big problem. That, however, is likely less a function of oil change intervals than how hard and hot the motor is run. Conclusion: a car that has been babied my be very, very dangerous :-)

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
MarcW
so much so that it could not be removed by pulling it out rather the cases had to be split.

However, even though I knew this before I bought the car I was not concerned as I expected the odds of a 2008 engine suffering from an IMSB failure given reasonable care/servicing -- which in the case of my 2002 Boxster had the IMSB lasting 317K miles -- to be quite long.

From the experience we had with out 06 base and people I know that have had both 987 and 997 models that have been tracked extensively, I would not be terribly concerned about a !MS failure on the 06-08 cars.
One man's opinions on the '06 thru '08 IMS bearings ...
... can be found on the internet. Google it if you want it.

NOTE:
This post has been edited, as there is no advertising allowed.
The link provided by the poster was that, just an ad.
Admin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2018 11:18PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login