Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Even Pedro should like the lines winking smiley

It's 'only' a PDK tongue sticking out smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
... of his driving and of the car!
That guy has done a few laps before.
Happy Porsche’ing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
where he is accurately navigating the track while looking at and talking to the passenger. He has definitely done it before.
2 on the tach and 1 on the speedometer. Hmmmmm..........

He should have good lines, as a Porsche factory driver he has definitely done a few laps around the ‘Ring.
• I believe the yellow at left is the TPMS light. Maybe the vehicle's wheels don't have sensors.
• The red one is likely the seatbelt warning light. Isn't the car fitted with racing belts, without the standard belts' electric circuits?
• I think the driver told the passenger he's got only Traction Control engaged. The rest of the system is disabled, hence the rightmost warning light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2018 10:06PM by Laz. (view changes)
Gary in SoFL

No question.... everything else being equal, a PDK equipped Porsche is quicker around a race track.

But, for the apparently very few (tongue firmly in cheek) who spend most of their Porsche driving time NOT on a track, the speed of PDK shifts is of no consequence.
OTOH, removing manual shifting from the driving equation is akin to taking the chair-lift DOWN the ski hill.

A guy up the street recently bought a Golf R, and went on and on about the speed of the double-clutch auto. Yawn. I asked his 15 year old son how often his dad uses the paddle shifters. His response, "Never", tells the real story.

No question I'm getting old, but I vividly recall the days when driving an auto-equipped 'sports car' was openly derided, irrespective of massive cubic inch displacement, Thrush 'mufflers', and more barrels in the carb than in a Jack Daniels distillery.
Roger987
Gary in SoFL

No question.... everything else being equal, a PDK equipped Porsche is quicker around a race track.

But, for the apparently very few (tongue firmly in cheek) who spend most of their Porsche driving time NOT on a track, the speed of PDK shifts is of no consequence.
OTOH, removing manual shifting from the driving equation is akin to taking the chair-lift DOWN the ski hill.

A guy up the street recently bought a Golf R, and went on and on about the speed of the double-clutch auto. Yawn. I asked his 15 year old son how often his dad uses the paddle shifters. His response, "Never", tells the real story.

No question I'm getting old, but I vividly recall the days when driving an auto-equipped 'sports car' was openly derided, irrespective of massive cubic inch displacement, Thrush 'mufflers', and more barrels in the carb than in a Jack Daniels distillery.

Exactly. Without a doubt, a PDK is the tranny of choice at the track. Likewise, if I lived in a lived in a urban setting and had to drive our 981 in traffic on a daily basis, the PDK would probably be a better choice.

Living in the country, however, going through the gears in Boxster with a manual tranny is part of the joy of owning this car. The manual requires more driver involvement, which one of the reasons why people buy this car.

BTW, Roger--good to see you back on the board.
MikenOH
Roger987
Gary in SoFL

Exactly. Without a doubt, a PDK is the tranny of choice at the track. Likewise, if I lived in a lived in a urban setting and had to drive our 981 in traffic on a daily basis, the PDK would probably be a better choice.

Living in the country, however, going through the gears in Boxster with a manual tranny is part of the joy of owning this car. The manual requires more driver involvement, which one of the reasons why people buy this car.

After only one previous track experience with the boxster, i've had more time this year and opportunity to take my 01Boxster S to the track over the past couple months (4x since mid June).

PDK is definitely quicker, but with the use of phone based laptimers, I find that I can always try to improve my laptimes as a beginner and there are lots of things to work on in terms of heel-toeing (for me it's more big toe, little toe) that I wouldn't give up the manual shifter in favour of PDK if given the choice.
MikenOH
Roger987
Gary in SoFL

[Snip]

Thanks, Mike. It's good to see some familiar... err.. pixels. smiling smiley

Roger
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login