Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Anyone else notice that when the A/C is on, that it’s very loud on the outside of the car? Much louder than any of my other cars. Air con works fine and blows very cold...just that when I get out of the car, you can hear the fans in the front bumper running, and it’s friggen so loud, it’s almost embarrasing.
Its the two front radiator fans you can hear. They run at full tilt when the AC is on.
Anker
Its the two front radiator fans you can hear. They run at full tilt when the AC is on.

Yeah, but why are they so darned loud? I’ve never heard a car with such loud radiator fans when the A/C is on. Are the later model Boxster this loud too when the A/C is on?
boxtaboy

Yeah, but why are they so darned loud? I’ve never heard a car with such loud radiator fans when the A/C is on. Are the later model Boxster this loud too when the A/C is on?

It could be that new models are a bit quieter. You'd have to compare them side by side. One thing to keep in mind is that the Boxster has 2 radiator fans, where most cars only have one. That would likely make it louder than other cars. On top of that, if the engine compartment fan is on in slow traffic, that's 3 fans running at the same time. That's going to be louder than one fan running in other cars.
Guenter in Ontario
boxtaboy

It could be that new models are a bit quieter. You'd have to compare them side by side. One thing to keep in mind is that the Boxster has 2 radiator fans, where most cars only have one. That would likely make it louder than other cars. On top of that, if the engine compartment fan is on in slow traffic, that's 3 fans running at the same time. That's going to be louder than one fan running in other cars.

Makes sense. Thx G. I’m guessing too that the newer models are probably more quiet. Not a big problem, but it’s not the kind of loud (eg. Exhaust, intake or engine sound) that I like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2018 02:33PM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
Yeah, when I had either of my Alfas, and no AC anyway, it was always side windows down with the top down--- and the manual window cranks pretty much committed me to the configuration when hitting the road.* But these days, especially these past few days, I like top down, AC on, and yes, side windows up, at least for longer drives. It makes for a noticeably less uncomfortable drive. Along with using the seat ventilation that helps keep one's back and kiester dry, the focus is more on driving, not enduring.
Ok, so I'm shameless!
* No driver's armrest in either the 71 or 77. Maybe they added them to later years. Hey, you gonna drive or take a nap?
Agree, Laz, and even nicer if you have ventilated seats. I turn my AC on manual with the air flow coming out the floor and dash vents (pointed down and towards me, and ventilated seats on. I do the similar on cooler days but with heat and heated seats on. Both approaches really extend the top down driving season here in the mid-Atlantic states.
In winter it can sometimes help to have both on, each at an "optimal" level. One can maximize the heating effect, while the ventilation wicks away moisture from possible sweating. Upon stepping out of the car, there's less chance of damp skin and/or clothing becoming clammy in cold air. The minimum low temperature for ventilation operation is 59º F for the 981 Boxster, but I believe that restriction can be overcome once the seat or the cabin (can't recall which) gets above that.
Also, if the outside temperature is above, I believe, freezing, the AC will operate, and that can enhance the seat drying effect. By the way, seat ventilation pulls air through the seating surfaces.
It does create a nice micro-climate as noted above. The only issue is if you run it for a while on a particularly humid day, the lines get condensate on them and will drip on your lower legs and feet.

The first time it happened, it was disconcerting. Now just a minor annoyance.

In the fall and early spring, I frequently ride with the heat on full blast with the top down. It makes the drive much more comfortable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login